I-41 resurfacing to begin late March/early April 2017
Release date: February 17, 2017
(Green Bay) As part of his efforts to create jobs and make sure Wisconsin is open for business, Governor Scott Walker recently approved $14,433,442 to improve 10.35 miles of I-41 from County Road J in Outagamie County to Orange Lane in Brown County. I-41 pavement work begins in late March/early April and expected to finish by November of this year. Electrical work in advance of the pavement resurfacing project begins Monday, February 20.
Northeast Asphalt of Green Bay, Wis., is the prime contractor.
- Various sections of I-41 in the project area are reaching their life expectancy, and the pavement conditions are becoming deficient. Work will include milling off and resurfacing existing pavement, concrete pavement patch repairs, cable guard installation, polymer high-friction surface treatment application on bridge decks, beam guard replacements, grading, concrete pavement, storm sewer, culvert pipe replacements and lining, intelligent transportation systems (ITS), signing and pavement marking.
- Other improvements include deck repair to the Apple Creek bridges due to deterioration, expansion of capacity at the County S Park and Ride, reconstruction of the Wrightstown Weigh Station ramps, and the addition of an auxiliary lane from the weigh station to County U northbound I-41 off-ramp.
- Mainline I-41 and interchange ramp restrictions will be primarily during off-peak, nighttime hours. There will be few longer-term closures to note during construction.
- Beginning late March/early April, there will be lane closures on I-41 during off-peak hours, but a minimum of one lane in each direction will remain open at all times.
- Construction will be conducted in stages for the Apple Creek bridge improvements. Apple Creek bridges will be rehabbed one half at a time, which will shift traffic onto three lanes (two in one direction and one in the opposite direction) on one side of I-41 and leave one remaining adjacent to the work zone.
- I-41/County U northbound off-ramp to be closed for 15 consecutive days for reconstruction of the ramp.
- County S (between I-41 ramps) to be closed for 15 consecutive days for bridge approach/shoulder repairs.
Project benefits include an improved driving surface for motorists, a safer highway corridor with new cable guard in the median and beam guard replacement, and an improved communications system along the corridor via new intelligent transportation systems (ITS).
More information is available on the I-41 Resurfacing Project website at http://projects.511wi.gov/i41resurface/.
Motorists are reminded to use caution and remain alert when driving through this or any work zone.
For more information, contact:
Mark Kantola, Regional Communications Manager
Mark.Kantola@dot.wi.gov, (920) 492-4153