Project begins Monday, March 20
Release Date: March 10, 2017
(Brown County) As part of his efforts to create jobs and make sure Wisconsin is open for business, Governor Scott Walker recently approved $16.5 million to improve 10.5 miles of I-43 from WIS 96 to WIS 172, and 3 miles of WIS 172 from Webster Avenue to I-43 in Brown County. The project is scheduled to start March 20, 2017 and finish in November 2017. The I-43 resurfacing project in Brown County is in conjunction with I-43 resurfacing projects in Manitowoc County and Sheboygan County taking place in 2017.
Northeast Asphalt of Greenville, Wis. is the prime contractor.
I-43 Brown County project improvements:
- Resurfacing and concrete base patching of mainline I-43
- Replacing the bridge deck at County MM/I-43
- Concrete repair of existing I-43 ramps
- Spot concrete improvement on WIS 96 west of I-43/WIS 96 interchange
- Concrete overlays of existing bridge decks on I-43
- New signage and pavement markings on I-43
- Installing median cable guard on WIS 172
I-43 Brown County traffic impacts:
- March 20 to June 2017: There will be long-term, single-lane closures on I-43 during paving and bridge work. Motorists may experience delays during peak travel times.
- July to Nov. 2017: The long-term, single-lane closures will change to weekly, single-lane closures after the July 4th Holiday to accommodate weekend, summer travel.
- Monday through Saturday: Southbound I-43 single lane closures (no closures Sundays)
- Monday through Noon on Friday: Northbound I-43 single lane closures (no closures Saturdays/Sundays)
- March 20 to late May: County MM over I-43 CLOSED and detoured during bridge deck replacement.
- County MM/I-43 ramps will remain open during deck replacement, but motorist will not be able to cross the bridge deck.
- Motorists seeking access to US 141/29 from southbound I-43 will be directed to use County Road JJ/I-43 exit.
- There will be a short-term closure of I-43 for bridge deck removal at County MM.
- Motorists will use the I-43/County MM ramps to get off/on I-43 during the brief closure.
- I-43 ramps to WIS 96 will have nighttime closures for concrete repair.
- Closures are anticipated to start after June.
- WIS 96 west of I-43 will be closed for approximately one week with a signed detour in place directing traffic to use County Road NN and County Road R.
- WIS 172 will have nighttime lane closures for cable guard installation.
Project benefits include extending the life of the existing pavement structure and bridge structures and providing an improved driving surface for motorists. Cable guard installation on WIS 172 will prevent vehicles from traversing the median and possibly colliding with vehicles traveling in the opposite direction.
An I-43 construction project website is available with details, traffic impacts and schedules for all three I-43 resurfacing projects at: http://projects.511wi.gov/i43ner/.
Motorists are reminded to use caution and remain alert when driving through this or any work zone.
For more information, contact:
Mark Kantola, Regional Communications Manager
Mark.Kantola@dot.wi.gov, (920) 492-4153