Wisconsin State Patrol to provide special enforcement in work zones
Release date: March 16, 2017
(Green Bay, Manitowoc) The Wisconsin Department of Transportation Northeast Region office is reminding drivers that long-term lane closures on I-43 in Brown and Manitowoc counties begin Monday, March 20. The closures will result in only one lane of travel open to drivers on segments of I-43 in the project work areas. Motorists could experience delays during peak travel times. The closures are part of an I-43 resurfacing and bridge structure project taking place March 20, 2017 to November 2017. Some local roads and I-43 ramps will also close for construction.
Upcoming Brown County traffic impacts:
The Brown County I-43 resurfacing and bridge overlay project will take place on 10.6 miles of I-43 from WIS 96 to WIS 172.
- March 20, 2017 to June 2017: Long-term, single-lane closures of northbound and southbound I-43 between WIS 96 and WIS 172.
- March 20, 2017 to late May 2017: County MM overpass at I-43 CLOSED and detoured for bridge deck replacement.
- County MM/I-43 ramps will remain open during deck replacement, but motorist will not be able to cross the bridge deck.
- Motorists seeking access to US 141/29 from southbound I-43 will be directed to use County Road JJ/I-43 exit.
- March 20, 2017 to March 24, 2017 (nighttime only): All lanes of I-43 under the County MM bridge CLOSED nightly, 8:30 p.m. to 5 a.m., for removal of the bridge deck at County MM.
Upcoming Manitowoc County traffic impacts:
The Manitowoc County I-43 resurfacing, bridge overlays and bridge replacement project will take place on 6.5 miles of I-43 between Clover Road and Point Creek Road.
- March 20, 2017 to November 2017: I-43 will be reduced to one lane in each direction between Point Creek Road and Silver Creek Road.
- Traffic will run in one lane, bi-directionally, in either the southbound or northbound lanes during construction.
- March 24 to July 2017: Southbound I-43 on-ramp from County C CLOSED.
- Motorists will be directed to use the I-43/US 151 interchange ramps to the north or the I-43/County XX interchange ramps to the south.
- March 27 to June 2017: County U (Newton Road) will be CLOSED under I-43 while bridge replacement takes place.
The Wisconsin State Patrol will provide special enforcement in the I-43 project work zones to ensure worker and driver safety. Motorists are reminded to obey work zone speed limits. Talking on a mobile device in a work zone (without the aid of a hands-free device) is illegal. Texting and driving is always illegal. Fines double in work zones. Please limit all distractions while driving in a work zone.
For I-43 project construction details, schedule and future traffic impacts, please see the project website at http://projects.511wi.gov/i43ner/.
For more information, contact:
Mark Kantola, Regional Communications Manager
Mark.Kantola@dot.wi.gov, (920) 492-4153