Project starts July 10 with closure and detour
Release date: June 28, 2017
(Sheboygan County) As part of his efforts to create jobs and make sure Wisconsin is open for business, Governor Scott Walker recently approved $5 million to improve 6.8 miles of WIS 144 from WIS 28 in Silver Creek to WIS 57 in Random Lake in Sheboygan County. The project is scheduled to begin July 10, 2017 and finish by November of this year.
Michels Corporation of Brownsville, Wis. is the prime contractor.
The project is needed to improve the condition of the existing roadway, bring the highway up to current state and federal standards, and improve safety at various intersections.
Work will consist of milling and resurfacing WIS 144 and widening the travel lanes by two feet. Other work includes widening the shoulders, replacing curb and gutter, replacing storm sewer in Silver Creek, replacing culverts, updating existing beam guard, flattening side slopes, and upgrading a number of intersections. Below is a summary of WIS 144 intersection improvements.
- WIS 28: Updating pavement marking
- County Road I: Adding right-turn lane and curb returns with increased radius and offset
- County Road DE: Adding right-turn lane
- County Road DE / Silver Creek: Adding curb returns with increased radius and offset
- Lone Pine: Adding curb returns with increased radius and offset
- Riverview: Adding curb returns
- Schroeter: Adding curb returns
- Lynn: Adding curb returns with increased radius and offset
- WIS 144 will be closed from Carroll Street to WIS 28 for the duration of the project.
- There will be a three-day closure at some point during construction between WIS 57 and Carroll Street for the box culvert work.
- Detour: The detour will be north along WIS 28, east on County A and south on WIS 57.
Motorists on WIS 144 will benefit from a smoother pavement surface and improved safety due to a wider roadway through Silver Creek and new right-turn lanes at various intersections.
Construction details and traffic impacts will be provided weekly for this project on the Northeast Region Weekly Highway Construction Update website.
For more information, contact:
Mark Kantola, Regional Communications Manager
Mark.Kantola@dot.wi.gov, (920) 492-4153