Transplantation holds the promise of life for thousands of patients with life-threatening conditions and diseases. The generosity of donor families, who at a time of great tragedy decide to help others, is immeasurable. However, the number of patients waiting continues to increase daily. The numbers speak for themselves:
- More than 29,000 organ transplants, 46,000 eye transplants and 750,000 tissue transplants are performed each year in the U.S.
- One of every 20 people in the U.S. will undergo a procedure that uses donated tissue.
- A single tissue donor can help 50-75 people.
- More than 7,400 families donated their loved one's organs in 2007.
- In Wisconsin there are currently more than 1,400 people on the waiting list for an organ transplant. That number grows to almost 100,000 in the U.S.
- Every 13 minutes a new name is added to the organ transplant waiting list.
Any one of us could someday be in need of a transplant. People with diabetes, high blood pressure, cystic fibrosis and other common illnesses are on the waiting list. Donated bones and tissue replace those lost to cancer, trauma, joint disease, arthritis and other conditions; and for burn victims, donor skin can make the difference between life and death. Heart valves give patients a chance to resume normal life, and transplanted corneas mean vision is restored.
Donate Life Wisconsin, a not-for-profit volunteer corporation, was formed to save more lives and improve the quality of life through organ, tissue and eye donation. Members meet throughout the year to organize awareness and outreach events designed to improve the public's knowledge and understanding of donation. Their goal is to increase the number of people in Wisconsin who say yes to donation. Your purchase will help defray the costs of an online donor registry: a vital step toward saving more lives in Wisconsin.
Vehicles that qualify
- motor homes (annual registration only)
- 4,500, 6,000 or 8,000 pounds gross weight including dual purpose farm and dual purpose motor home
- 12,000 pounds gross weight farm truck
Things you should know:
When you request Donate Life license plates, you pay:
- $25 annual donation to Donate Life Wisconsin, Inc. The donation may be deductible if you itemize your income tax returns.
- $15 issuance fee or an annual $15 personalized plate fee, if requested
- The regular registration fee for your vehicle if your current plates expire within three months or you have no plates
- At each plate renewal you will pay the $25 donation and the regular registration fee for non-personalized Donate Life plates.
For more information, visit personalized and special plates FAQs.
How to apply:
DMV customer service centers do not have Donate Life license plates for immediate issue, but can process applications and the plates will be mailed. Temporary plates will be issued, if needed.
To apply for Donate Life license plates by mail, please send the following items:
- If the vehicle you wish to register with Donate Life license plates is already titled/registered in your name, send:
If the vehicle is not titled/registered in your name, send:
- A copy of your Certificate of Registration or show the complete vehicle description on the Donate Life Wisconsin License Plate Information and Application
- $25 Donate Life Wisconsin donation
- $15 issuance fee or $15 personalized plate fee
- The annual registration fee if your current plates expire within the next three months or you do not have plates
Make the check or money order made payable to:
Registration Fee Trust Mail with payment to:
- A completed Wisconsin Title and License Plates Application
MV1, or MV11 for dealer sales, including all fees
- A completed Donate Life Wisconsin License Plate Information and Application
- The Certificate of Title assigned to you by the seller
- $25 Donate Life donation
- $15 issuance fee or $15 personalized plate fee
- The annual registration fee if you do not have plates or your current plates expire within the next three months
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Special Plates Unit
P.O. Box 7911
Madison WI 53707-7911
Personalized license plates
Personalizing your Donate Life license plates is optional. A $15 personalized plate fee is required
each year in addition to the $25 donation and regular annual registration fee. On the Donate Life Wisconsin License Plate Information and Application
MV2956, check which option you would like us to follow if your request is not available. Please allow an additional 4-6 weeks for delivery.
Visit Personalized plate search to find out if your choice for a personalized license plate is available. WisDOT may refuse to issue, or may recall after issuance, a request that may be offensive to good taste or decency, misleading or conflicts with any other license plate. For more information, visit personalized and special plates FAQs.
For more information: