US 45 - WIS 70 east to US 45 north
The purpose of the project is to preserve the pavement.
We also identified several safety issues between WIS 70 east and US 45 north:
82 crashes from 2007-2011
86 crashes from 2012-2016
one fatal pedestrian crash in 2013
one injured pedestrian crash in 2013
Several improvement alternatives were considered and evaluated. The preferred alternative includes:
- Resurfacing the roadway
- Reconfiguring the roadway, between WIS 70 east and US 45 north, from four lanes to three lanes. This will reduce crashes and improve safety for vehicles and pedestrians.
- Installing sidewalks and reconstructing pedestrian curb ramps
- Repairing storm sewer inlets
- US 45 will remain open to traffic. Motorists can expect to encounter periodic, daytime single lane closures in each direction.
- Construction will be scheduled to minimize impacts during the tourist season.
- Lane widths on US 45 may be temporarily reduced for certain types of work.
- Some temporary interruptions in access will occur at driveways when work is occurring directly in front of residences or businesses. The contractor will be required to contact homeowners and businesses in advance of the work.
- Real estate acquisition is under way.
- Final design plans scheduled for completion in February 2019.
- Construction is currently scheduled to take place in 2019.