US 8 and WIS 47 intersection, Rhinelander, Oneida County
Several needs have been identified at this intersection, including pavement and safety issues.
There are safety concerns with the current intersection configuration:
- There have been several crashes at the intersection. The predominate crash type is right-angle crashes (commonly referred to as “T-bone crashes”) involving left-turning vehicles not being able to see around the opposing left-turning vehicles.
- The free-flow, right-turn slip ramps for the intersection do not provide adequate room for right-turning traffic to merge safely.
The pavement is
- The existing asphalt surface is showing signs of joint distress and potholing due to deterioration of the underlying concrete pavement.
Two intersection alternatives are being considered to improve safety and operations at the intersection:
Both intersection improvement alternatives include:
- Reconstructing the intersection to replace deteriorated pavement
- Raising the grade of the intersection to improve drainage
- Accommodations for oversized/overweight vehicles
- Accommodations for future sidewalk
Proposed traffic impacts during construction
- Construction is currently scheduled to take place in 2019.
- Motorists can expect to encounter temporary traffic signals, lane closures and flagging operations.
Neither improvement alternative will require additional right of way. No real estate acquisition is anticipated.
- Select preferred alternative - January 2018
- Public information meeting to discuss preferred alternative - February 2018
- Complete environmental document - February/March 2018
- Finalize design - Summer 2018
- Construction - Currently scheduled for 2019
Dan Erva, P.E., WisDOT Project Manager
Kristin McHugh, WisDOT North Central Region Communications Manager
Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT)
North Central Region, Rhinelander office
510 N. Hanson Lake Road
Rhinelander, WI 54501
Phone: (715) 365-3490
Fax: (715) 365-5780
WI Telecommunications Relay System (TTY): 711