WIS 47/55, Shawano Creek to the Menominee County line, Shawano County
We identified several issues on this section of WIS 47/55:
- The pavement is deteriorating
- The absence of turn lanes at some of the intersections results in conflicts between turning and through traffic
- The railroad crossing surface needs repairs and crossing gates are required
- Inlets and spot sections of curb and gutter require repair
- Curb ramps do not meet American’s with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements
- Guardrails, pavement markings, and signing do not meet current standards
- Resurface WIS 47/55 and pave 5-foot shoulders to accommodate bicycles and pedestrians
- Modify the intersections with County H, Maple Avenue, Frailing Lane, and County A to improve traffic flow and efficiency
- Replace the railroad crossing surface and installing new signals and gates
- Reconstruct all curb ramps to meet ADA requirements
- Repair spot locations of curb and gutter
- Replace guardrails
- Install new signing and pavement marking
Construction is currently scheduled to take place in 2020.
Additional right of way will be required for this project. This will include permanent (fee) and temporary (Temporary Limited Easement) land acquisitions.
Real estate acquisition is expected to begin in fall 2018.
Proposed traffic impacts
WIS 47/55 will remain open to traffic for the majority of construction. Motorists can expect to encounter flagging operations and single lane closures.
A one-week highway closure and detour will be required to replace the railroad crossing.
Access to adjacent properties will be maintained during construction. Brief interruptions in access may occur when work is occurring directly in front of driveways. The contractor will be required to notify homeowners and businesses prior to activities that impact access.
Project update/next steps
- February 2017 - Local officials meeting
- January 2018 - Local officials meeting
- January 2018 - Public involvement meeting
- April 2018 - Environmental document
- Fall 2018 to Fall 2019 - Real estate negotiations
- November 2019 - Final plans completed
- 2020 - Construction currently scheduled
Jim Volkmann, P.E., WisDOT Project Manager
Kristin McHugh, WisDOT North Central Region Communications Manager
Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT)
North Central Region, Rhinelander office
510 N. Hanson Lake Road
Rhinelander, WI 54501
Phone: (715) 365-3490
Fax: (715) 365-5780
WI Telecommunications Relay System (TTY): 711