WIS 47/55, Duquaine Road to the north intersection of County VV
Keshena, Menominee County
Several needs have been identified on this section of WIS 47/55, including:
- Deteriorated pavement
- Limited pedestrian and bicycle accommodations
- Deteriorated box culvert at the south County VV intersection
- Several safety concerns along the roadway. Between 2008 and 2012 there were:
- 34 crashes on this section of WIS 47/55
- Three crashes at the south County VV intersection caused by limited sight distance and lack of defined driveway access
Section 1 - Duquaine Road to Blacksmith Road, 1.6 miles: Improve as a full urban section, which includes new pavement, curb and gutter, a grass terrace, sidewalk, street lighting, and storm sewer on both sides of the roadway. Construct defined driveway entrances to two businesses south of the County VV intersection. Remove and replace box culvert to south of County VV intersection.
Section 2 - Blacksmith Road to Courthouse Lane, 0.6 miles: Improve as a half urban section, which includes new pavement, curb and gutter, a grass terrace, sidewalk, street lighting, and storm sewer on the east side of the roadway.
Section 3 - Courthouse Lane to the north County VV intersection, 0.4 miles:
- Resurface with new pavement
- Construct or replace curb and gutter in spot locations, where needed
- Replace deficient guardrail near Wolf River bridge
- Regrade hazardous roadway side slopes and ditches
- Local officials have requested evaluation of extending sidewalk on east side of the roadway
Proposed traffic impacts
The existing roadway is not wide enough to keep two lanes open to traffic during construction. To complete all of the proposed improvements, crews will need to close and detour northbound traffic. The southbound lane will remain open during construction.
To minimize traffic impacts, several traffic management strategies are being evaluated, including:
- Closing the northbound lane in sections to limit traffic impacts
- Detouring northbound traffic via Go Around Road and County VV
- Detouring northbound traffic using multiple, shorter routes via Go Around Road and Warrington Road and via Go Around Road and Our Children Road
Motorists can also expect to encounter singe lane closures and flagging operations.
Winter 2017 - Complete environmental document
Spring 2017 - Begin right of way acquisition
Spring 2019 - Complete final plans
Spring 2020 - Construction currently scheduled