US 2 and US 53, East 2nd Street, 2nd Avenue E. to 31st Avenue E. and 29th Avenue E. to 53rd Avenue E. in Superior, Douglas County
WisDOT is currently developing plans to resurface and make improvements to US 2/US 53, East 2nd Street. The projects will include:
- Spot locations of concrete pavement repair
- Roadway resurfacing with a course grind of the concrete surface and then asphalt overlay
- Rehabilitation of three bridge structures
- Curb ramps will be upgraded or installed at pedestrian crossings
- Traffic signal updates or replacements
- Utility manhole and inlet repairs
Due to high traffic volumes, roadway construction is to be spread out over a two-year period, 2020 and 2021. The projects will be divided near 31st Avenue East (Nemadji River). The total cost for both projects is estimated to range from $10 to $15 million.
2nd Ave East to 31st Ave East
Design and plan development: Spring 2017-spring 2019
Construction begins spring 2020
29th Ave East to 53rd Ave East
Design and plan development: Spring 2018-spring 2020
Construction begins spring 2021
Public Involvement Meeting: March 22, 2018
During construction, US 2/US 53 East 2nd Street will remain open to traffic; however, traffic may be limited to one lane in each direction. Multiple routes for handling the large volume of traffic through construction are being thoroughly investigated. This is to reduce congestion and increase worker safety.
Access to businesses and residences within the construction area will be maintained, which may involve the use of temporary driveways and gravel surfaces.