WIS 32, within the village of Caledonia, in Racine County.
- South project limit is about 1,000 feet south of 5 Mile Road.
- North project limit is about ½ mile north of the intersection of WIS 32 and WIS 31.
- Project length is about 1.7 miles.
- Maintenance resurfacing project with additional lane through intersection from 6 Mile Road to WIS 31.
- Intersection improvements at 5 Mile Road, 6 Mile Road and WIS 31.
- Traffic signal installation at 6 Mile Road and WIS 32.
The project’s need was established based on several criteria:
- Physical issues, age of facility, and related deficiencies
- Increasing traffic volume and congestion
- Safety concerns and crashes
- Bicycle facilities
- System linkage and route importance
The purpose of this project is to improve the condition of the pavement, and to provide intersection improvements to meet forecasted traffic volumes, improve safety, and accommodate the needs of pedestrians and bicyclists.
April 2018 Update: Utility work taking place
The activity taking place in this area is the utility relocation effort needed prior to the start of the roadway construction project. There are two planned full closures of WIS 32 and one on WIS 31 to accomplish this work.
- The WIS 32 closure for work to be completed south of WIS 31 will post a detour route using 4 Mile Road and WIS 31. For the closure north of WIS 31, the detour route will be using 6 Mile, WIS 38 and 7 Mile.
- The closure of WIS 31, between 6 Mile Road and WIS 32, will use a short detour using 6 Mile Road and WIS 32.
- For additional information on utility coordination and schedules with these closures, please visit caledoniawi.com or contact the Village of Caledonia Utility District Department Head, Tony Bunkelman at (262) 835-6416 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Throughout the various utility work, there will also be lane closures controlled by flaggers to allow traffic to flow, as well as shoulder closures. Access for businesses and residents will be maintained.
- Utility relocation work is scheduled to be completed by fall of 2018, followed by roadway construction being completed by fall of 2019.
Roadway construction traffic impacts/detour:
- The roadway construction project will be closed to through traffic during construction, but access to local properties will be maintained.
- The detour route will be posted.
Mark Wilfert, P.E., WisDOT Project Manager
Dan Sellers, WisDOT Southeast Region Communications
Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT)
141 NW Barstow St.
P.O. Box 798
Waukesha, WI 53187-0798
Phone: (262) 548-5902
Fax: (262) 548-5662