Project location |
Project overview |
Traffic impacts/detours |
WIS 19, WIS 78 to US 12, Dane County
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) is in the process of developing plans for a proposed improvement project on WIS 19 in Dane County. The project begins at the WIS 78 intersection and extends easterly for 9.6 miles to the US 12 intersection.
The purpose of the project is to improve corridor safety, address drainage concerns, widen shoulders, and improve pavement condition.
The proposed improvement includes:
- Upgrading select horizontal and vertical curves.
- Replacing two bridge structures.
- Replacing existing guardrail.
- Protecting existing roadside hazards.
- Rehabilitating select roadway culvert pipes.
- Replacing existing signing and pavement markings.
- Widening shoulders from 0-2’ to 4’ (3’ paved) west of County K.
- Widening shoulders from 0-2’ to 6’ (5’ paved) east of County K.
This project follows the interim shoulder repair project that is being constructed in the summer of 2017 that addressed the immediate needs of the roadway.
Current (this year)
- 2017 - Design team is investigating project impacts.
Future (next year and beyond)
- Spring 2018 - Public Involvement Meeting (PIM)
- 2022 - Construction anticipated
Past (prior to today)
- May 23, 2017 - PIM held to discuss the shoulder repair project occurring summer of 2017.
WIS 19 to be constructed under a detour during construction.
- Detour, traffic heading east on WIS 19
- Take WIS 78 to US 12
- Turn south (right) on US 12, and follow to WIS 19
- Detour, traffic heading west on WIS 19
- Take US 12 to WIS 78
- Turn south (left) on WIS 19, and follow to WIS 19
- Detour map
Local access will be maintained.
Lalitha Balachandran, WisDOT Project Manager
Michael Bie, WisDOT Southwest Region Communications Manager
Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT)
Southwest Region, Madison Office
2101 Wright Street
Madison, WI 53704
Phone: (608) 246-3800
Fax: (608) 246-3843