Project location |
Project overview |
Traffic impacts/detours |
Project comments |
US 18/151 to East County Line, Dodgeville - Mt. Horeb, Iowa County
The purpose of the project is to patch and overlay the existing pavement surface that has exceeded its service life. The project begins near the US 151 interchange and extends northeast approximately 13.65 miles to the east county line of Iowa County. Proposed improvements include overlaying the travel lanes and paved shoulders. Right-of-way acquisition is not expected and wetlands will not be impacted. Construction of the project is scheduled for 2020.
Additional US 18 roadway improvements include the following:
- Upgrading select intersections to lengthen right and left turn lanes to 450’.
- Replacement of existing beam guard and turn-down terminal ends to current standards.
- Installation of median cable barrier in cross-median hotspot locations.
- Protection of existing roadside hazards within the roadway clear zone (i.e. steep slopes, non-traversable slopes, fixed objects).
- Replacement of existing signing and pavement markings to current standards.
- Concrete deck overlay on bridge (westbound over Jones Street) and two wing wall replacements.
Current (this year)
- 2017 - Bring design to 60% level complete, continue work on preferred alternative. Public input will be collected and will help advise our design.
Future (next year and beyond)
- May 1, 2019 - Project design will undergo final review
- Spring - Fall 2020 - Anticipated time required to construct project
US 18 will be built under traffic using lane closures. Some construction activities will completed at night to minimize traffic impacts.
Local access will be maintained. If concrete repair is required in front of a private access point, high early strength concrete will be used to shorten any potential impacts to the property owners.
WisDOT welcomes project comments/suggestions. Please give us your comments/suggestions on this project, the project goals, transportation issues, project purpose and need, and preliminary alternatives. Thank you for your interest and assistance with this important project.
Lalitha Balachandran, WisDOT Project Manager
Michael Bie, WisDOT Southwest Region Communications Manager
Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT)
Southwest Region, Madison Office
2101 Wright Street
Madison, WI 53704
Phone: (608) 246-3800
Fax: (608) 246-3843