Contractors honored for transportation improvement projects completed in Oneida, Shawano, Manitowoc, Eau Claire, Dane, Milwaukee, and Walworth counties
Release date: Feb. 6, 2018
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) announced seven Excellence in Construction Awards for 2017 during the annual Contractor-Engineer Conference held recently in Madison. Top winners include a grading project in Oneida County, asphalt paving project in Shawano County, concrete paving project in Manitowoc County, small bridge project in Eau Claire County, large bridge project in Dane County, large contract project in Milwaukee County, and an airport improvement project in Walworth County. Photos of the award-winning projects are available online.
“At the Wisconsin DOT, we work closely with local communities and private contractors to complete transportation improvements that enhance public safety and mobility, economic growth, and our overall quality of life,” said Beth Cannestra, Director of WisDOT’s Bureau of Project Development. “These annual awards are an opportunity to recognize our valued private sector partners for their quality work, and for embracing innovations that help us save time and money.”
- Oneida County - The Excellence in Grading Award went to James Peterson Sons, Inc. of Medford for work on the US 51 project from Tomahawk to Minocqua in Oneida County. The 5.4-mile project included improvements to the vertical and horizontal alignments as well as intersections along the corridor. Traffic was maintained during construction, minimizing impacts on travelers. A cost reduction initiative by James Peterson generated savings of over $200,000 and reduced the construction timeframe by four months.
- Shawano County - The Excellence in Asphalt Paving Award went to Northeast Asphalt, Inc. of Green Bay for work on an eight-mile section of US 45 between Clintonville and Wittenberg in Shawano County. The contractor delivered a project with a superior ride and excellent pavement densities which will maximize the life of the new pavement. Traffic was maintained throughout construction and the overall project was completed 17 days ahead of schedule.
- Manitowoc County - The Excellence in Concrete Paving Award went to Vinton Construction Company of Manitowoc for reconstruction of WIS 42 (Lincoln Avenue) from 22nd Street to 35th Place in Two Rivers. The city obtained funds to address water utility services, adding to the size and complexity of the project. Vinton worked extensively to coordinate with the municipality and property owners to maximize efficiencies while delivering a quality project two weeks ahead of schedule.
- Eau Claire County - The Excellence in Small Structures Award went to Radtke Contractors, Inc. of Winneconne for construction of the WIS 27 overpass for Bridge Creek in Eau Claire County. The project team successfully addressed several significant challenges related to the schedule, staging and site constraints, and still opened the roadway three weeks ahead of schedule. Along with meeting the functional needs of local travelers and visitors, the structure includes unique architectural and concrete features.
- Dane County - The Excellence in Large Structures Award went to Lunda Construction Company of Black River Falls for replacement of the High Point Road bridge over US 12 (West Madison Beltline) in Dane County. Due to low clearance, the previous overpass was struck by vehicles multiple times over the last several years. Along with resolving the clearance issue, the new structure features unique surface treatments. High voltage electrical lines along the north abutment complicated the construction process, but the contractor addressed these and other challenges to complete the project on time.
- Milwaukee County - Zenith Tech, Inc. of Waukesha received the Large Contract Award for their work on the Lakefront Gateway in Milwaukee. The project provided a new connection to the Milwaukee lakefront via the reconstruction and realignment of the Lake Interchange, extension of Lincoln Memorial Drive and reconstruction along Clybourn and Chicago streets. The complex project involved several components including two multi-span curved steel plate girder bridges and multiple retaining walls designed to minimize impacts to adjacent properties. The contractor worked closely with WisDOT and the community to accommodate public access to businesses and various events including Summerfest.
- Walworth County - Payne and Dolan, Inc. of Waukesha received the Outstanding Airport Construction Award for work at the East Troy Municipal Airport in Walworth County. The pavement rehabilitation project involved improvements to a taxiway and aircraft parking apron. Along with outstanding coordination with airport officials and tenants, the project team achieved exceptional quality control to improve surface drainage. The project was completed ahead of schedule and under budget.
For more information, contact:
WisDOT Office of Public Affairs