Rehabilitation project and bridge closure begins February 20
Release Date: February 6, 2020
(Oshkosh) To invest in Wisconsin’s transportation system, Governor Evers signed a $1.11 million contract to improve the Oshkosh/Congress Avenue Bridge (WIS 21) over the Fox River in the city of Oshkosh, Winnebago County. Work is scheduled to begin Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020, and finish in June of this year. The bridge will be CLOSED to all traffic during construction.
Omega Coatings and Construction, LLC, from Tarpon Springs, Florida, is the prime contractor.
This is a bridge rehabilitation that includes:
- Surface repair to concrete bridge deck
- Epoxy overlay of the bridge deck
- Replacement of bridge approach slabs
- Blast and paint bascule span, select flange areas, and bearings
- The bridge will be CLOSED to vehicle and pedestrian traffic for the duration of the project starting Feb. 20, 2020.
- The bridge will be CLOSED to marine traffic until the boating season begins.
- Work on the bascule span will be complete prior to the start of the boating season in spring 2020.
A signed detour route will follow WIS 21, I-41 and US 45.
The new bridge approaches, repairs to the bridge deck, painting, and epoxy overlay will prolong the life of the structure.
Work Zone Safety
Each year in Wisconsin, both highway workers and motorists are killed and injured in crashes that happen in highway construction zones. Motorists should slow down, be patient and pay attention to their surroundings in this and all work zones.
For more information, contact:
Mark Kantola, Regional Communications Manager
Mark.Kantola@dot.wi.gov, (920) 492-4153