Highway closed and detoured
Release Date: April 27, 2020
(Niagara) The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) Northeast Region announces US 141 construction in the city of Niagara, Marinette County, begins Monday, May 4, 2020. Construction will take place between Betters Court and 4th Street. The $4.26 million project is scheduled to finish in September 2020. US 141 will be closed and detoured from May 4, 2020 to August 21, 2020. The remaining work will be constructed under traffic.
Musson Brothers, Inc. of Rhinelander, Wis. is the Prime Contractor.
There are two projects, constructed concurrently, in the project work zone between Betters Court and 4th Street.
- Urban reconstruction of US 141 will take place between Pine Street and 4th Street. Reconstruction includes replacing the existing roadway pavement with 32’ width of asphalt, replacing the curb and gutter, existing sidewalk, crosswalks, storm sewer and curb ramps. The project also includes realigning the Vine Street intersection to be 90-degree angle to US 141 and several incidental items.
- Resurfacing of US 141 will take place between Betters Court and Pine Street. This project includes milling and overlaying existing pavement, updates to crosswalks and curb ramps, spot repairs of concrete curb, signing, pavement markings and other incidental items.
- US 141 between Betters Court and County Road N will be CLOSED to thru traffic May 4, 2020 to August 21, 2020. \
- Detour: US 2 and US 8 through Norway and Quinnesec, Michigan.
- Local access to business and properties and emergency access will be maintained. Any work after August 21 will be constructed using flagging operations.
- Intersections between Main Street and the paper mill, and the Tyler Road intersection, will be staged to continue side road access to the highway during construction.
- Other side roads in the reconstruction project area (Pine St. to 4th St.) will have alternate access points to US 141, and construction will be staged for alternate access to those intersections.
- Short-term driveway closures will be necessary during parts of the construction process. The contractor will contact homeowners and businesses in advance before closing a driveway.
- Sidewalk closures and/or a “sidewalk detour” will be in place to direct pedestrians to alternate routes during construction.
This project will improve the driving surface of US 141 in southern Niagara and improve operational efficiency and traffic safety with updates to sidewalk, crosswalks, curb ramps, and the Vine St. intersection.
- Please see the US 141 project website.
- For more information regarding traffic impacts, transportation news and improvement project updates in Wisconsin’s Northeast Region, follow us on Twitter @WisDOTnortheast.
Work Zone Safety
Each year in Wisconsin, both highway workers and motorists are killed and injured in crashes that happen in highway construction zones. Motorists should slow down, be patient and pay attention to their surroundings in this and all work zones.
For more information regarding work zone rules for motorists, the new law restricting hand-held devices, and general work zone safety information, please see our work zone safety website.
# # #
For more information, contact:
Mark Kantola, Regional Communications Manager
Mark.Kantola@dot.wi.gov, (920) 492-4153