Project includes placing larger culvert replacing storm sewer, pavement and sidewalk
Release date: May 10, 2023
To invest in Wisconsin's transportation system, Gov. Tony Evers has signed a $585,100 contract with prime contractor McCabe Construction Inc. of Eau Claire for a culvert replacement project on US 63 in the Sawyer County city of Hayward. Construction is scheduled to start Monday, May 15.
The existing culvert between California and Davis avenues, which carries Smith Lake Creek, is undersized and cannot withstand high flow conditions. To address this, the Wisconsin Department of Transportation project will:
- Replace the culvert with two concrete elliptical culvert structures.
- Install new apron end walls with heavy riprap.
- Replace storm sewer, disturbed pavement, sidewalk, signs.
In addition to this work, the city is completing some related culvert work and installing new water main.
During construction, US 63 will be closed to traffic beginning Tuesday, May 16, with the following detours:
- Cars and local traffic: WIS 27, Railroad Street and WIS 77.
- Truck traffic: US 53 and WIS 77.
Construction is scheduled for completion in late June.
For more information regarding traffic impacts, transportation news and improvement project updates in Wisconsin’s Northwest Region:
For more information, contact:
Christena T. O'Brien, Northwest Region Communications Manager
(715) 833-9814, (715) 828-9471, email@example.com