Work includes installation of system to warn motorists of approaching vehicles
Release date: May 22, 2023
To invest in Wisconsin's transportation system, Gov. Tony Evers has signed a $10.65 million contract with prime contractor Mathy Construction Co. of Onalaska for a resurfacing and safety improvement project on WIS 35/54, WIS 54/93 and US 53 in Trempealeau County. Construction is scheduled to start Tuesday, May 30.
The pavement on the following segments is showing signs of deterioration – WIS 35/54, Buffalo/Trempealeau County line to WIS 93; WIS 54/93, WIS 93 to Winnebago Road; and US 53 from Harris Road to the south Trempealeau County line. To address this and other issues, WisDOT plans to:
- Mill existing asphalt pavement and overlay the roadway with new asphalt pavement.
- Repair existing concrete pavement and overlay it with new asphalt pavement.
- Install a Through Route Activated Warning System (TRAWS) at WIS 54/93 and County T/K, where there have been crashes involving vehicles crossing or entering the state highway from the county roads.
- The system will detect vehicles approaching on County T or County K and activate flashing warning lights on WIS 54/93.
- Repair or replace culvert pipes under US 53 and WIS 54.
- Repair four box culverts.
- Repair or replace guardrail.
- Add centerline and shoulder rumble strips.
The following traffic impacts are expected:
- On the existing two-lane roadway sections of US 53 and WIS 54, motorists can expect single-lane closures controlled by flagging operations.
- On the divided highway sections of both highways, motorists can expect single-lane closures with at least one lane remaining open to traffic in each direction.
- For work on the US 53/WIS 54 interchange and interchange ramps, motorists can expect staged traffic with lane and ramp closures.
- Access to properties, including businesses, on both projects will be maintained throughout construction except for short-duration closures when work is performed on US 53 and WIS 54 at driveway and entrance locations. Coordination will be completed with property owners and businesses along US 53 and WIS 54 to inform them of impending construction.
Construction is scheduled for completion in late October.
For more information regarding traffic impacts, transportation news and improvement project updates in Wisconsin’s Northwest Region:
For more information, contact:
Christena T. O'Brien, Northwest Region Communications Manager
(715) 833-9814, (715) 828-9471, firstname.lastname@example.org