Construction of new Silver Creek Bridge begins Tuesday, July 5
Release Date: June 29, 2022
(Manitowoc) To invest in Wisconsin’s transportation system, Governor Evers signed $1.03 million contract to improve the WIS 42 at the Silver Creek Bridge just south of US 151 in the city of Manitowoc, Manitowoc County. Construction for bridge replacement begins Tuesday, July 5, 2022. A full closure of WIS 42 at the bridge will be in place during construction. This is a 50-day working contract.
Pheifer Brothers Construction Company of Neenah, Wis. is the Prime Contractor.
The project is a bridge removal and replacement project over Silver Creek. Work includes:
- Bridge removal and replacement
- Structure grading
- Roadway aggregate and aggregate shoulders
- Asphaltic milling
- Asphaltic pavement
- Beam guard replacement and beam guard grading
- Relocating a driveway near the existing structure
- New pavement marking
- The bridge will be closed on Tuesday, July 5 and throughout construction. This is a hard closure of the bridge. Vehicles are restricted from crossing.
- WIS 42 will be closed to through traffic with a state highway detour in place.
- Access to property owners and businesses along WIS 42 will be maintained throughout the project.
- Detour: Traffic to use I-43 and County C.
The project will address structural problems with the Silver Creek Bridge related to cracking and spalling, safety issues with hazardous side slopes, and critical scour. The bridge needs to be replaced to avoid further deteriorate and significant safety concerns. The bridge was built in the 1930s and previously repaired in 1967. The new bridge is expected to last into next century.
Work Zone Safety
Each year in Wisconsin, both highway workers and motorists are killed and injured in crashes that happen in highway construction zones. Motorists should slow down, be patient and pay attention to their surroundings in this and all work zones.
For more information
Mark Kantola, Regional Communications Manager