Release Date: July 8, 2020
A public involvement meeting was previously planned to discuss proposed improvements to US 51, from Iron Street to US 2, in Hurley. An in-person meeting is no longer planned based on public health guidance to limit public gatherings.
Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) North Central Region is seeking feedback until July 31, 2020 on the proposed improvements to US 51 in alternative formats.
- Residents, property and business owners within the project limits have been mailed informative materials, including comment forms that can be sent back.
- The same materials are posted online for review on the
project website (public involvement tab)
- Feedback can be submitted
via online survey.
Construction is currently scheduled for 2026 but could begin as early as 2023. Proposed improvements include:
- Remove the existing asphalt pavement and replace with new Hot Mix Asphalt (HMA)
- Remove and replace curb and gutter
- Remove and replace curb ramps to meet current Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) standards
- Spot repair of storm sewer inlets and manholes
- Replacement of existing pavement markings
Adjacent property and business owners are encouraged to provide feedback. Deaf or hard of hearing persons needing assistance should contact the Wisconsin Telecommunications Relay system (dial 711). For any questions or issues with the above feedback options, please contact WisDOT Project Manager Kai Kilen at (715) 365-5741 or
For more information:
Tegan Griffith, Region Communication Manager
email@example.com or (715) 493-3710