December 7, 2017
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) is conducting a public involvement meeting to discuss the proposed reconstruction of the US 8/WIS 47 intersection in Rhinelander.
The meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, December 12, 2017 from 5:30 to 7 p.m. at Rhinelander City Hall, 135 S Stevens Street, Rhinelander. A brief presentation is scheduled to begin at 5:30 p.m. The remainder of the meeting will follow an open house format.
One of the objectives of the December 12 meeting is to outline the identified needs of the intersection:
- The operational characteristics of the intersection are contributing to safety concerns and crashes. From 2012 to 2016 there were 28 crashes at this location resulting in one fatality and eight injuries. Half of the crashes resulted from left-turning vehicles colliding with oncoming traffic.
- The pavement is deteriorating.
- Drainage under the intersection needs to be improved to optimize pavement stability.
WisDOT representatives will present information on two alternatives that will address the identified needs.
- One of the alternatives involves reconstructing the intersection, keeping it signalized with some operational modifications.
- The other alternative would reconstruct the intersection as a roundabout.
A construction project is currently scheduled to occur in 2019.
WisDOT is seeking the public’s input on the proposed reconstruction alternatives. Additional information is available on the project website
For more information, contact: Kristin McHugh, WisDOT Region Communications Manager, (715) 421-8380