2017 was a year for enhancing the future of Wisconsin roadways
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) announce their “Year in Review” of state and federal projects that were completed in 2017. WisDOT continued to focus on the effective use of resources, cost saving opportunities, and performance improvement. Mobility, accountability, preservation, safety, and service continue to be the departments’ performance goals.
“Under Governor Walker’s leadership, WisDOT is operating under a new paradigm. Governor Walker directed WisDOT to reinvest let savings to advance a number of highway projects, identify cost savings and efficiencies, and effectively use its resources while maintaining a focus on safety,” said Dave Ross, WisDOT Secretary. “We remain committed to continuing to move Wisconsin forward in 2018.”
In Fiscal Year 2017, 600 miles of State Trunk Highway and local highways were improved and work was initiated or completed to rehabilitate or replace 387 deficient state and local bridges. In all, more than $946 million in construction projects on state and local road systems were contracted through the Department of Transportation.
Southwest Region project highlights for 2017 include:
High Point Road Bridge/Madison Beltline (US 12/14) (Dane County): The High Point Road bridge carries local traffic over the Madison Beltline (US 12/14) and is a key link connecting residential and business areas on the city’s west side. The 49-year-old structure was removed, replaced and the new bridge opened to traffic as scheduled on September 1. The bridge now accommodates four lanes of traffic and added bicycle and pedestrian accommodations.
Interstate 39/90 from Madison to Beloit (Dane and Rock Counties): Temporary widening on nearly 15 miles of I-39/90 southbound near Madison and Beloit. Widened highway will be used for future traffic staging to handle two lanes of traffic in each direction during upcoming Interstate expansion. Three overpass bridges (County AB, Manogue Road and Stateline Road) were replaced over I-39/90 near Madison, Janesville, and Beloit respectively. Several bridges were lengthened to accommodate future Interstate expansion and meet design standards. Three roundabouts were constructed at the interchanges to improve safety and mobility for all roadway users. Interstate expansion adjacent to the County N interchange area to be completed in fall 2018. I-39/90 construction at the Rock River bridges near Edgerton and Newville continues this two-and-a-half-year project. Interstate traffic is now shifted onto the northbound bridge as crews rebuild the southbound structure over the river. Some construction work will occur over the winter months.
Reconstruction and expansion of I-39/90 northbound from the Dane/Rock County line to East Church Road, including the northbound side of the US 51 interchange (Exit 156). Northbound traffic recently shifted onto the permanent concrete pavement. Construction began on the two-and-a-half-year project to reconstruct and expand I-39/90 northbound and southbound, between Hart Road near Beloit and the US 14 interchange in Janesville. Some construction work will occur over the winter months. I-39/90 Project website:
I-39/90 Project Facebook page:
- US 18 (Crawford County): This multi-year project between Prairie du Chien and the Wisconsin River Bridge upgraded the corridor to a four-lane highway, constructed right and left turn lanes at intersections to improve traffic flow and safety, realigned side roads for better access, and reconstructed the US 18/WIS 60 intersection.
- US 18/151 (Verona Road) (Dane County): In August 2017, construction crews completed the first of three construction phases of the Verona Road (US 18/151) Project in Fitchburg. Stage 2 construction includes the reconstruction and expansion of Verona Road, between Raymond Road and County PD/McKee Road, including interchanges at County PD and Williamsburg Way. The second of three construction phases began in September to continue to expand Verona Road with interchange ramps being constructed at Williamsburg Way and County PD. Verona Road Project website:
www.VeronaRoadProject.wi.gov. Verona Road Project Facebook page:
- US 61 (Crawford and Grant Counties): A main north-south corridor and important freight route in southwestern Wisconsin, more than 20 miles of US 61 were resurfaced under projects in Crawford and Grant County. Safety improvements, including passing lanes and widened shoulders, were included in the projects, which were started and completed in the 2017 season.
- US 151 (Dane County): The project repaired and replaced deteriorating pavement along the busy stretch of US 151 in Sun Prairie. The project included bridge and interchange improvements, and was completed while maintaining traffic during construction.
- WIS 59 (Green County): The project resurfaced 17.5 miles of highway between Albany and Monroe and replaced beam guard, signing, pavement markings, and culvert pipes.
- WIS 78 (Dane County): The project resurfaced 9.5 miles of highway between Mt. Horeb and Cross Plains in western Dane County, widened the paved shoulders, and updated safety features to current standards.
For more information, contact:
WisDOT Office of Public Affairs