Name and date of birth

​Acceptable documents for proof of name and date of birth

(en español​)

The Wisconsin Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is issuing driver licenses and ID cards that meet new federal REAL ID requirements. While all Wisconsin licenses and ID cards are valid for federal uses for the next few years, at some point a REAL ID license or ID card will be required for identification at airports and federal buildings.

The following documents are acceptable proof of name and date of birth. Documents presented as proof must be original. Photocopies are not acceptable.

For REAL ID compliant cards:

  • Valid U.S. passport or passport card.
  • Certified birth certificate or equivalent document from the state, territory, or certificate of birth abroad issued by U.S. Dept. of State (federal forms FS-545 or DS-1350). Canada birth certificates are not acceptable.
  • Consular report of birth abroad.
  • Valid I-551, permanent resident card (issued by the Department of Homeland Security/U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services). Non-expiring I-551 (issued 1977-1989) cards are acceptable.
  • U.S. Certificate of naturalization (federal form N-550).
  • Certificate of U.S. citizenship (federal form N-560).
  • Unexpired Employment Authorization document.
  • Unexpired foreign passport with a valid, unexpired U.S. visa affixed accompanied by the approved I-94 form documenting the applicants most recent admittance into the U.S.

Additional acceptable documents for non-compliant cards

Everything from the list above, or:

  • A foreign passport with federal I-551 resident alien registration receipt card or federal I-94 arrival and departure record that identifies the person's first and last names, and the person's day, month and year of birth.
  • A Wisconsin driver license bearing a photograph of the person.
  • A Wisconsin ID card issued under §.343.50, bearing a photograph of the person.
  • Federal I-94 Arrival/Departure Record (Parole or Refugee version) and MV3002.
  • A federal temporary resident card or employment authorization card (federal form I-688, I-688A).
  • Native American ID card issued in Wisconsin.
  • Court order with full name, date of birth and court seal. (Does not include abstract of criminal or civil convictions).
  • Armed forces of the U.S. ID card issued to military personnel. Common Access Card or DD form 2.

The department will decline to accept any document presented if it has reason to suspect the authenticity of the document. Questionable documents may require additional review.​

EmailWisconsin DMV email service​​​