eligible to apply for an occupational license, your Privilege to Operate a Motor Vehicle must be suspended or revoked for a reason that allows an Occupational License to be issued.
These are the steps to take if your driver license was suspended or revoked but you are allowed an Occupational License to be issued:
Check if you are
If eligible, you will need to:
- Complete form
MV3027. On this form, you will list
- the counties or states in which you will be driving
- the time(s) of day you will be driving
- the purpose of your driving, e.g.: work, homemaker duties, Driver Safety Plan
- Complete form
- If you are under 18 years old, a
sponsor signature is required
- Complete any required tests, including vision screening
proof of your identity
Provide documentary proof that you are legally present in the United States
- Provide an SR22,
proof of insurance
- Pay the nonrefundable
- Note: Filing an application and paying the fee does not guarantee issuance of an Occupational License
- If you are revoked for Operating While Intoxicated (OWI), you must complete an Alcohol or Other Drug Assessment and participate in a Driver Safety Plan
- If the court has ordered you to install an
Ignition Interlock Device (IID), provide proof of installation for every vehicle titled or registered to you unless exempted by the court. An IID is not required on motorcycles, mopeds or autocycles.
- Approved Ignition Interlock Device (IID) installers in Wisconsin
- Intoxalock (formerly Consumer Safety Technology): (877) 262-6481
- Lifesaver: (800) 584-1226
- Low Cost Interlock: (844) 218-5399
- Smart Start: (888) 234-0198
- More information regarding the installation of IIDs
Two hours are needed to process an Occupational License application. Plan to arrive at the DMV customer service center at least two hours before the center is scheduled to close.
After you apply for an occupational license
Depending upon the hours the DMV customer service center is open, you may receive your occupational license the same day. If it is near the DMV customer service center’s closing time or if they need to fax your application to the Driver Information Section, you may be asked to return the next day or the next time that DMV customer service center is open to have your Occupational License issued.