eligibility to reinstate your Wisconsin driving privilege.
To use the on-line system, you will need to enter the following information:
- Whether you are currently a Wisconsin resident
- Personal identifying information:
- Your Wisconsin driver license number or Wisconsin driver identification card number;
- Your Social Security number and date of birth;
- Your name, gender and date of birth
Proof of insurance
You may be required to
file proof of insurance (SR22 certificate) with the DMV. Check online to determine:
- If you are required to file proof of insurance
- How long you are required to file
- Whether we already have acceptable proof of insurance on file
If you need to file insurance with the DMV, contact an insurance company licensed to do business in Wisconsin to obtain the SR22 insurance certificate.
Motor carrier insurance may be furnished for commercial motor vehicle operation.
You will need to file proof of insurance if your operating privilege was suspended under the
Safety Responsibility or
Damage Judgment laws.
You will not need to file proof of insurance if your operating privilege was revoked:
- For a first offense Operating While Intoxicated (OWI)
- For Noncompliance with an alcohol assessment, interview or driver safety plan
- Because you were arrested for OWI while involved in a driver safety plan
Ignition Interlock Device (IID)
If the court ordered a restriction to operate only with an Ignition Interlock Device (IID) installed:
- Provide proof of IID installation for every vehicle titled or registered to you unless the vehicle was exempted by the court
- The court vehicle exemption order must also be filed with the DMV
Alcohol and chemical testing for more information about the IID installation process, costs, etc.
Reinstate at a DMV customer service center
When you apply for your first Wisconsin driver license, your license has expired or you need a replacement license, you must visit a DMV customer service center, except renewal-only offices and:
DMV customer service centers accept cash, checks, most debit cards and the following credit cards: Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover. Please plan to arrive at least 90 minutes before the center is scheduled to close.
Reinstate by mail
To reinstate by mail, you must:
- Be eligible to reinstate your Wisconsin driving privilege
- Have an unexpired Wisconsin driver license in your possession
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Wisconsin driver license number
- Social Security number
- Current address
Reinstatement fee (check or money order) payable to
Registration Fee Trust
Mail all to:
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Driver Information Section
4802 Sheboygan Avenue, Room 301
P.O. Box 7983
Madison, WI 53707-7983
After the suspension or revocation period is over and you have paid your fees, you can confirm that your Wisconsin driving privilege is valid by:
You will need your Social Security number and date of birth to access this information.