DMVs are open for all driver license and ID card customers. Driver licenses can be
renewed online for most customers. All vehicle transactions must be done
online, by mail or
3rd party agents. Vehicle emission extensions have expired. As of August 1, you are required to pass an emission test before renewing your registration.
WisDOT issues a
Certificate of Title as proof of ownership for a vehicle. A title is needed to sell a vehicle or use the vehicle to secure a loan. If you recently ordered a title and have not received it, you can check the status of your title using the free title search.
Beginning July 30, 2012, state law requires WisDOT to deliver all titles to the lien holder (lender). If you have a lien (loan) on your vehicle, check lien holder search and contact the lien holder who holds the title.
If your Wisconsin certificate of title has been lost, destroyed or is illegible, you may obtain a replacement by applying online, by mail or in person.
How to apply online
Using the online replacement title application you need:
- To be an owner of the vehicle (must be an individual, not a business)
- A valid credit or debit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express) or ACH (Automated Clearing House) payment from your checking or savings account. Your credit or debit card will be charged a
convenience fee for this service. There is no convenience fee charged for ACH payment.
- For ACH payments your account will be charged a $20 application fee
- For credit or debit card payments, your account will be charged a $20 application fee and convenience fee
- A valid email address
- Your Wisconsin driver license or identification card number (or full name)
- The last four digits of your social security number (or full SSN)
- Your date of birth
- The vehicle identification number (VIN) for the vehicle
- You can find the VIN on your certificate of registration or
on the vehicle
Once the online transaction is completed, you cannot cancel it or receive a refund. Verify that you have entered the information correctly before completing payment information.
You should receive a replacement title in the mail within 7-10 business days after completing the online application.
This service may not be available on Sundays from 6 a.m.–9 a.m. due to regular system maintenance.
Order your replacement title now.
How to apply by mail or in person
If needed, you may complete and sign the Replacement Title Application
MV2119 and mail it with the $20 fee to the address provided. You may bring the completed MV2119 to any DMV customer service center offering title and registration services for immediate processing for an additional $5 counter service fee.
- Proof of identity (driver license or identification card) is required to receive a title when applying in person. If proof of identify is not provided, DMV will mail the title to the vehicle owner or lien holder.
- DMV customer service centers accept cash, checks, debit cards, and credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover only). Debit cards will be processed as credit.
- There is a
convenience fee for using a credit or debit card.
- DMV requires anyone picking up a title on behalf of the owner or lien holder to have a completed "Permission to Pick Up Title" form MV2932 (Spanish version) and show proof of identity.