If your license plates need to be replaced because one or both of the plates have been lost, stolen, damaged, or are illegible, you must obtain replacement plates. You may order replacement plates online or submit an application by mail or in person. A new license plate number will be issued. When you receive your new plate(s), destroy the old plate(s).
How to apply online
Personalized and some special license plates are not available for replacement using this online service. Review the
eligibility page to check whether this online service will work for your vehicle. To use the online application, you need:
- To be an owner or lessee of the vehicle (must be an individual, not a business)
- A printer with standard white 8.5 x 11 inch paper to print a temporary license plate
- Either form of payment:
- A valid credit or debit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express). Your credit or debit card will be charged a
convenience fee for this service.
- Direct withdrawal using ACH (Automated Clearing House/electronic funds transfer) payment from your checking or savings account. This payment method is processed using your bank account and routing information. There is no convenience fee charged for ACH payments.
- A valid email address
- Your Wisconsin driver license or identification card number (or full name)
- The last four digits of your social security number (or full SSN)
- Your date of birth
- The license plate number
vehicle identification number (VIN) for the vehicle needing the replacement license plate
Once the online transaction is completed,
you cannot cancel it or receive a refund. Verify that you have entered the information correctly before completing payment information.
When the transaction is complete, the online service will provide a temporary license plate (see
sample) for you to print and display on your vehicle while waiting for your new license plate(s) to arrive by mail. You will also be able to print your Certificate of Vehicle Registration. These documents will also be sent to your email. See the
instructions for displaying your temporary plate. If your vehicle requires two plates, and you still have one plate on the vehicle, remove the plate and display the temporary plate. You will not receive a temporary plate if replacing a motorcycle, moped or recreational vehicle trailer plate.
After you print your certificate of vehicle registration, which lists your new license plate number, please keep it with you when operating the vehicle.
You should receive replacement license plate(s) in the mail within 7-10 business days after completing the online application. You will receive new expiration stickers with the replacement plates.
This service may not be available on Sundays from 6 a.m.–9 a.m. due to regular system maintenance.
Replace your license plates now
How to apply by mail or in person
If your plate does not qualify to be replaced online, complete and sign form
MV2118 Replacement License Plate and mail it with the required fee. You may bring the completed
MV2118 to any
DMV customer service center offering title and registration services for immediate processing for an additional $5 counter service fee.
- DMV customer service centers accept cash, checks, debit cards, and credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover only). Debit cards will be processed as credit.
- There is a convenience fee for using a credit or debit card.