DMVs are open for all driver license and ID card customers. Driver licenses can be renewed online for most customers. All vehicle transactions must be done
online, by mail or 3rd party agents.
If your license plates need to be replaced because one or both of the plates have been lost, stolen, damaged, or are illegible, you must obtain replacement plates. You may order replacement plates online or submit an application by mail or in person. A new license plate number will be issued. When you receive your new plate(s), destroy the old plate(s). Not all license plates can be replaced within the online service, see
How to apply online
- Review the
restrictions page to check whether this online service will work for your license plate(s).
Personalized and some special license plates are not available for replacement using this online service.
- To use the online application, you need:
- To be an owner or lessee of the vehicle (must be an individual, not a business)
- A printer with standard white 8.5 x 11 inch paper to print a temporary license plate
- Either form of payment:
- A valid credit or debit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express). Your credit or debit card will be charged a
convenience fee for this service.
- Direct withdrawal using ACH (Automated Clearing House/electronic funds transfer) payment from your checking or savings account. This payment method is processed using your bank account and routing information. There is no convenience fee charged for ACH payments.
- A valid email address
- Your Wisconsin driver license or identification card number (or full name)
- The last four digits of your social security number (or full SSN)
- Your date of birth
- The license plate number
vehicle identification number (VIN) for the vehicle needing the replacement license plate
Once the online transaction is completed, you cannot cancel it or receive a refund. Verify that you have entered the information correctly before completing payment information.
3. Complete the online process:
Replace your license plates now
This service may not be available on Sundays from 6 a.m.–9 a.m. due to regular system maintenance.
4. After the transaction:
- You may print a temporary license plate (see
sample) and display on your vehicle while waiting for your new license plate(s) to arrive by mail. Follow the instructions online to print. See how the
temporary plate is displayed.
- Notes: If your vehicle requires two plates, and you still have one plate on the vehicle, remove the plate and display the temporary plate. You will not receive a temporary plate if replacing a motorcycle, moped or recreational vehicle trailer plate.
- You will also be able to print your Certificate of Vehicle Registration which lists your new license plate number. These documents will also be sent to your email. Please keep a copy with you when operating the vehicle.
You should receive replacement license plate(s) in the mail within 7-10 business days after completing the online application. You will receive new expiration stickers with the replacement plates.
How to apply by mail
If your plate does not qualify to be replaced online,
- Complete and sign form
MV2118 Replacement License Plate
- Mail it with the required fee. Do not send cash.
Make check or money order payable to: Registration Fee Trust
Send to: WI Dept. of Transportation
P.O. Box 7949
Madison, WI 53707-7949