WIS 29/156 intersection and WIS 156 between WIS 55 and WIS 29, Shawano County
WIS 29/156 intersection
From 2006 to 2010, 14 crashes occurred at this location. Twelve of the crashes at the WIS 29/156 intersection were angle-type, which is considered the most dangerous because they are more severe and often result in injury. Ten of the crashes resulted in some level of injury. One angle-type crash occurred in 2011 resulting in three incapacitating injuries. Three additional crashes occurred in 2014 with one of the crashes resulting in a fatality.
The intersection in located on a curve, which may be contributing to some drivers misjudging available traffic gaps to safely enter WIS 29.
WIS 156 between WIS 55 and WIS 29
The pavement on WIS 156 is deteriorating, showing signs of cracking and rutting, and requires repair. The existing guardrail does not meet current safety standards and needs to be removed or replaced. Two culverts are deteriorating and require replacement.
The proposed project evaluated improvements to the WIS 29/156 intersection to address safety. An overpass will require full closure of the WIS 29/156 intersection and redirection of WIS 156 via Old 29 Drive, County Y, and the WIS 32 interchange.
Pavement resurfacing and intersection and structure improvements will be required on the new WIS 156 route along Old 29 Drive and County Y.
Additional improvements along the new WIS 156 route include:
- Two deteriorated box culverts will be replaced along Old 29 Drive
- The County Y/Old 29 Drive intersection will be reconstructed to address deteriorated pavement and culverts. Turn lanes will be added to address traffic movements through the intersection.
Proposed improvements on existing WIS 156 include:
Resurfacing the pavement on WIS 156 between WIS 55 and WIS 29
Constructing a new box culvert at the unnamed tributary of the Black Creek
Replacing one culvert
Replacing or removing deteriorated guard rail
- Construction is currently scheduled for 2017 and 2018.
- Single lane closures on WIS 29
- Access at WIS 156 to WIS 29 during reconstruction of the intersection will be closed in the second year of construction when WIS 156 is detoured. Alternative access to WIS 29 is available at the nearby WIS 32 interchange.
- WIS 156 will be detoured during construction of the box culvert in the second year of construction. The detour will be WIS 55 to WIS 29.
- December 2015 to February 2017 - Right of way acquisition
- February 2017 - Final design
- Summer 2017 to fall 2018 - Construction