UPDATE as of April 2022! This project is scheduled for construction in fall of 2022 and will be extended into the 2023 construction year. During construction, project information can be found on the
511 Wisconsin family of construction websites.
WIS 96 from WIS 32 in in the town of Greenleaf to I-43 in the village of Denmark, Brown County, Wis. The project begins just east of Breckenridge Falls Boulevard in Greenleaf and ends just west of the I-43 interchange in Denmark.
Project improvement details and exhibits are included below:
- Public Comments: February/March 2021
- Final Plans: November 2021
- Project Letting: June 2022
- Construction: Fall 2022 and Summer 2023 (project will suspend for winter)
Construction staging and traffic Impacts
The project will be constructed in stages to minimize impacts to the traveling public. Specific dates and timing of construction staging are still being developed. The project is scheduled to be divided into the following segments with corresponding detour routes.
- Segment 1 – Greenleaf to Lark (WIS 32 – County G, South Junction)
- Detour: WIS 32/57, County Z, County W, County Z, County G
- Segment 2 – Shirley to Denmark (County G, North Junction – I 43)
- Detour: County G, County Z, I-43
View project detour map
New right of way and temporary limited easements (TLE's) will be necessary at specific areas throughout the project. If your property is impacted, a member of the project staff will contact you. Please refer to the project displays for specific locations of right of way needs.
Your comments are important to us to obtain input that will assist the department in the further development and refinement of a final design. We are looking to obtain any specific knowledge of your property that will assist the department in finalizing our design. To provide comment on the project described above, please email or call project manager Matt Ternes or use the below pre-paid mailer in the project handout and mail to Mr. Ternes.
In This Together program for businesses
WisDOT recognizes businesses located in work zones have special needs. It's critical that customers have access to businesses and that they continue to visit them, regardless of any road work inconvenience. WisDOT's In This Together program is offered to business and community leaders as an idea source as they plan for road construction in their area. On the
In This Together website, businesses can find:
- Specially designed Business Coordination Guide for businesses to succeed during a highway construction project, includes information on:
- Planning ahead
- Staying informed
- Keeping customers informed
- Tips for businesses
- Case studies that demonstrate techniques that have been successfully used in communities throughout Wisconsin.
- Promotional samples showing a variety of examples of how businesses have promoted their businesses during construction.
During construction, temporary signing for business will be available. While signing and other marketing/advertising during the construction is up to the business, WisDOT encourages businesses to use the resources above to assist them with planning for construction before the construction begins.
Kristen Berg, P.E., Project Manager
WisDOT Northeast Region
944 Vanderperren Way
Green Bay, WI 54304