Project Update! New construction date: Project advanced to 2023 construction year and short-term detour added to replace culverts.
- WIS 54, approximately 0.25 miles north of Rockledge Road on the east side of the village of Luxemburg to Sunset Avenue in the city of Algoma in Kewaunee County, Wis. This includes work in the village of Casco.
View project location in map
WisDOT has created a public handout for the this project. Please feel free to download, print and share with anyone who does not have access to this website.
Proposed construction elements for this project includes:
- Mill and overlay of the existing asphalt pavement in project limits
- Beam guard replacement
- Culvert pipe replacements and drainage improvements
- Widening existing asphalt shoulders to 5 feet
- Mill and overlay parking lanes along WIS 54 in the village of Casco
- Curb ramp, storm sewer, curb and gutter replacements within the village of Casco
- New pavement markings
View project design exhibit
- Public Comments: October 2020
- Final Plans: November 2022
- Construction: 2023
- NOTE: This project has been advanced to 2023. It had been scheduled for 2024.
Proposed traffic impacts
- WIS 54 will remain open with flagging operations for much of construction. Some shoulder and parking lanes closures will occur as needed.
- WIS 54 will be closed and detoured for approximately three weeks during culvert work in 2023. Work will be staged to close two portions of WS 54 at different times for culvert work.
- Access will be maintained to businesses and properties in the work zone
- Stage 1 Closure: WIS 54 closed from County E to County K
- Detour: Motorists will be directed to use County C and County K.
- Stage 2 Closure: WIS 54 closed from County K to Evergreen Drive in Algoma.
- Detour: Motorists will be directed to use County K and WIS 42.
- View closure locations and detour routes in map (pdf)
New right of way, permanent limited easements (PLE’s), and temporary limited easements (TLE’s) will be necessary for the replacement of curb ramp areas within the village of Casco, guardrail grading, and culvert pipe work.
- If your property is affected, a member of WisDOT real estate will contact you.
- Temporary and Permanent Easements will be required for guardrail grading and culvert pipe improvements within property used for the Ahnapee State Trail. There will be no permanent impacts to the trail itself. All proposed impacts will occur within trailside ditches.
- The Ahnapee State Trail will remain open through construction. There may be temporary delays for trail users during milling and paving operations at the crossing of WIS 54 on the east side of Casco.
In This Together program for businesses
WisDOT recognizes businesses located in work zones have special needs. It’s critical that customers have access to businesses and that they continue to visit them, regardless of any road work inconvenience. WisDOT's In This Together program is offered to business and community leaders as an idea source as they plan for road construction in their area. On the
In This Together website, businesses can find:
- Specially designed Business Communication Guide for businesses to succeed during a highway construction project, includes information on:
- Planning ahead
- Staying informed
- Keeping customers informed
- Tips for businesses
- Case studies that demonstrate techniques that have been successfully used in communities throughout Wisconsin.
- Promotional samples showing a variety of examples of how businesses have promoted their businesses during construction.
During construction, temporary signing for business will be available. While signing and other marketing/advertising during the construction is up to the business, WisDOT encourages businesses to use the resources above to assist them with planning for construction before the construction begins.
Paul Brauer, P.E., Project Manager
WisDOT Northeast Region
944 Vanderperren Way
Green Bay, WI 54304
(920) 366-1097 or email