The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) Northeast Region is proposing a project located on WIS 55 in the towns of Vandenbroek, Freedom, Osborn and Oneida. The project limits run for approximately 14 miles from Arbor Way to WIS 54.
The existing pavement along this portion of WIS 55 is beginning to deteriorate and will require increased maintenance in the future. The proposed project will ensure that an acceptable roadway surface is created for the traveling public. The project at the intersection of WIS 55 and County JJ is proposed to improve the safety of the intersection.
Design refinements have been made to the project as of June 2020. Please read the updated design handout and view the new exhibits below. Please provide comments via email to the contact below or use the WIS 55/County JJ comment form with a pre-paid mailer and mail to the project contact.
The proposed improvements for WIS 55/County JJ intersection include:
- Reconstruction of the intersection of WIS 55 and County JJ with roundabout
- Culvert replacement/extension
- Guardrail replacement
- Pavement markings
- Curb and gutter
The proposed improvements for WIS 55 in the project limits include:
- Mill/overlay of the existing pavement
- Curb ramp improvements
- Miscellaneous curb and gutter repair
- Guardrail replacements
- Culvert replacements
- Centerline and shoulder rumble strips
- Pavement markings
View WIS 55 project overview display (NEW)
Right of way/property purchase
Right of way (ROW) acquisition in the form of Temporary Limited Easements (TLEs) and permanent acquisition (FEE) for various locations throughout the corridor will be necessary for this project. ROW will be purchased for stump removal, grading at the intersection of WIS 55 and County JJ, guardrail replacement areas, and at curb ramp locations. ROW acquisition is projected to begin in the summer 2020. A member of WisDOT's real estate staff will contact property owners whose land may be needed for TLEs or FEE.
Final details of traffic control will be determined later in design. It is anticipated the roadway will be closed to through traffic and a detour route will be used for the reconstruction of WIS 55/County JJ and for some culvert replacements. Local traffic access to property owners and businesses along WIS 55 will be maintained throughout the project. The remainder of the resurfacing project will likely be conducted under single lane closures via flagging operations.
- A public involvement meeting (PIM) was held on December 12, 2018.
- Design is ongoing and will continue through fall of 2021.
- Real estate acquisition is anticipated to begin in the summer of 2020.
- Construction is tentatively scheduled for 2022.
Businesses in the work zone: In This Together:
WisDOT recognizes businesses located in work zones have special needs. It's critical that customers have access to businesses and that they continue to visit them, regardless of any road work inconvenience. The “In This Together” program is offered to business and community leaders as an idea source as they plan for road construction in their area.
The “In This Together” program includes:
- Case studies that demonstrate techniques that have been successfully used in communities throughout Wisconsin.
- Promotional samples showing a variety of examples of how businesses have promoted their businesses during construction.
Find out more on the
In This Together website.
Other planned construction projects near WIS 55
- WisDOT tentatively plans to resurface WIS 47 from Appleton to Black Creek in 2024 with the possibility of advancement to 2022 if funding becomes available.
- WisDOT tentatively plans to resurface WIS 54 from Seymour to Green Bay in 2024.
WIS 55 Project Contacts
If you have any questions regarding this project, please contact:
Tim Rank, P.E.
WisDOT – Northeast Region
944 Vanderperren Way
Green Bay, WI 54304-5344
Phone: (920) 360-2579