Project location and limits
The WIS 96 Reconstruction Project is located on WIS 96 in the city of Kaukauna. The project limits run for approximately 0.55 miles from approximately 450 feet east of Lawe Street to 480 feet east of Claribel Street.
The existing pavement along this portion of WIS 96 is beginning to deteriorate and will require increased maintenance in the future. Reconstruction will ensure that an acceptable roadway surface is created for the traveling public. It will also ensure that the storm sewer system will function properly in the future.
Improvements for WIS 96 include:
- Complete reconstruction of the existing roadway.
- Replacement of the existing concrete pavement, curb and gutter, sidewalks and storm sewer.
- Creation of on-street bicycle accommodations.
- Correction of substandard intersection angles at Washington Street and Grant Street/Plank Road.
- Installation of a new lighting system.
- View WIS 96 project display
- Real estate acquisition is scheduled to begin in the winter/spring of 2018.
- This process will continue throughout 2018.
- WisDOT staff will contact you if acquisition of right of way is necessary.
- Utility relocations will begin in 2019.
- Construction will begin in 2020.
Typical roadway section
The existing WIS 96 typical section from Lawe Street to Claribel Street consists of a 44-foot wide
urban roadway with one lane of traffic in each direction. It also includes two parking lanes, a 2.5-foot
terrace and a 5-foot sidewalk on both sides of the road. The existing right-of-way limits extend out
30-feet from the existing centerline.
The proposed WIS 96 typical section from just east of Lawe Street to just east of Claribel Street will
consist of a 44-foot wide urban roadway with one lane of traffic in each direction. This section will
include a bike lane on both the north and south sides of the street as well as a parking lane on the
south side. Terrace widths will be increased to 4 feet and the sidewalk width will be 5 feet.
The proposed right-of-way limits will vary beyond the back of the sidewalk.
The roadway will be closed and detoured during construction.
- Local traffic access to property owners and businesses along WIS 96 will be maintained throughout the project.
- View detour route
Business signing during detour
Temporary business signing may be placed during the detoured portion of the project by filling out a WisDOT business signing permit. All temporary business signing needs approval via the permit before placement to ensure it is in a safe location and does not pose a visual distraction or traffic hazard. The temporary business signing permit is free. Costs associated with creating the temporary sign are the responsibility of the business.
Please keep the following items in mind regarding business signing:
- Temporary business signing cannot be placed on traffic control devices or state signs. Business signs attached to these devices will be removed.
- It is encouraged that businesses team up to have multiple businesses advertised on one sign structure versus several individual signs. This makes it easier for travelers to identify signs and find their destination.
- Temporary Business Sign Permit (WORD) - Please follow instructions on the permit.
Temporary Business Sign permits are available as a fillable-form WORD download (above) or you can request one from WisDOT Project Manager Tim Rank, P.E., by calling (920) 360-2579 or email Tim.email@example.com.
Please email the completed permit as an attachment to Tim, or if you prefer to mail the completed form, please address to: Tim Rank, WisDOT NE Region, 944 Vanderperren Way, Green Bay, WI 54304.
In This Together program for businesses
WisDOT recognizes businesses located in work zones have special needs. It’s critical that customers have access to businesses and that they continue to visit them, regardless of any road work inconvenience. While signing and other marketing/advertising during the construction is up to the business, WisDOT has business resources available through its “In This Together” website to assist businesses with planning for construction closures and to minimize the impact of construction. On the “In this Together” website, businesses can find:
Specially designed workbook for businesses to succeed during a highway construction project, includes information on:
- Planning ahead
- Staying informed
- Keeping customers informed
- Tips for businesses
- Case studies that demonstrate techniques that have been successfully used in communities throughout Wisconsin
- Promotional samples showing a variety of examples of how businesses have promoted their businesses during construction
This program is offered to business and community leaders as an idea source as they plan for road construction in their area. Through communication and cooperation, businesses can not only survive, but thrive, when road construction comes to town. For more information, please visit WisDOT's In This Together website.
- WisDOT is reconstructing a portion of WIS 55 from Lawe Street to I-41 in 2018.
- The city of Kaukauna plans to perform sanitary sewer and water main upgrades along WIS 96 in 2019 within the project area.
- WisDOT tentatively plans to resurface WIS 96 from Claribel Street to County Trunk D in Wrightstown in 2025.