Projects will take place on WIS 13 in the following locations, which can be found between the cities of Park Falls and Mellen in Ashland County:
- Morse Road to Caguya Road (4.4 miles)
- Caguya Road to Jefferson Avenue (5.7 miles)
- Soo Line Railroad Bridge
- Morse Road to Jefferson Avenue (10.4 miles)
- The first two projects (Morse Road to Caguya Road and Caguya Road to Jefferson Avenue) are culvert replacement and slope flattening projects on WIS 13. These two projects are being done to address steep foreslopes behind the shoulder as well as replacing the aging culverts located between these roads.
- The third project (Soo Line Railroad Bridge) is a project which involves resurfacing the bridge deck of the Soo Line Railroad Bridge. This project is planned to occur during the same construction season as the first two projects. This project is being done to restore the bridge's safety and functionality.
- The fourth project (Morse Road to Jefferson Avenue) is planned to occur the following construction season and includes resurfacing WIS 13 from Morse Road to Jefferson Avenue. While the first two projects covering this area focus on improving road features, this project will resurface the road with a new layer of recycled pavement. This project is being done to improve the aging pavement on WIS 13, resulting in a safer driving surface for the traveling public.
In addition to these main goals, projects will also aim to improve the following road features:
- Road signs
- Guard rail
- Road slope
The combined cost of this work is anticipated to be approximately $4 to $5 million during the year of construction. Funding will be provided via the State Highway Rehabilitation Program (SHR) under the 3R improvement policy.
Culvert replacements on WIS 13 and the resurfacing of the Soo Line Railroad Bridge will occur during the 2020 construction season. Letting will occur in December 2019.
The resurfacing of WIS 13 from Morse Road to Jefferson Avenue will occur after the first three projects, during the 2021 construction season. Letting will occur in December 2020.
During construction, motorists can expect one-lane driving conditions with width restrictions and temporary traffic signals or flagging operations. Two detour routes will be maintained for approximately three weeks while contractors replace culvert pipes:
- The car detour will utilize WIS 77 and County GG.
- The truck detour will utilize WIS 77, US 63 and US 2.
Access modifications may be made, but further analyzation is needed before decisions are finalized.
WisDOT Project Manager
(715) 395-3022, (715) 225-9446
WisDOT Project Leader
Christena T. O'Brien
WisDOT Northwest Region Communications Manager
(715) 833-9814, (715) 828-9471
Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT)
Northwest Region, Superior Office
1701 N. 4th St.
Superior, WI 54880
Phone: (715) 392-7925
Fax: (715) 392-7863
TDD: (800) 590-1868
WI Telecommunications Relay System (TTY): 711