WIS 48, Cumberland - Rice Lake, between the US 63 north and WIS 25 intersections and between the WIS 25 and West Avenue intersections in Barron County.
These two Wisconsin Department of Transportation projects involve:
- Resurfacing WIS 48 with asphalt.
- Repairing cross drains throughout the project limits.
- Placing gravel on the highway's shoulders.
- Increasing the width of the paved shoulder from 3 feet to 5 feet and adding shoulder and centerline rumble strips from the eastern Cumberland city limits to WIS 25 to address known safety concerns.
- Adding centerline rumble strips from WIS 25 to West Avenue.
- Building a right-turn lane at the WIS 48/County V intersection.
The resurfacing project will reduce the need for maintenance operations and improve the quality of the highway.
This project is anticipated to cost between $2 and $2.5 million.
- Construction is scheduled for: 2023 and 2024.
- Construction could be as early as: 2021 and 2022.
During construction, motorists can expect single-lane closures with flagging operations to control traffic through the work area.
WisDOT Northwest Region Project Manager
WisDOT Northwest Region Project Supervisor
Christena T. O'Brien
WisDOT Northwest Region Communications Manager
(715) 833-9814, (715) 828-9471
Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT)
Northwest Region, Superior Office
1701 N. Fourth St.
Superior, WI 54880
(715) 392-7925, (800) 590-1868
WI Telecommunications Relay System (TTY): 711