WIS 65, north junction of Jewell Street in the St. Croix County village of Star Prairie to US 8 in the Polk County town of Balsam Lake.
To address pavement deterioration and safety concerns, the Wisconsin Department of Transportation is proposing:
- Removing approximately 2 inches of asphalt from WIS 65 and overlaying it with approximately 3.75 inches of new asphalt pavement.
- Creating a narrow, paved shoulder to improve safety.
- Reconstructing three areas of substandard vertical curves - one between the St. Croix-Polk County line and the curve just to the north and two stretches between 28th and 38th avenues in the Polk County town of Alden - to improve safety.
The design team currently is working on the development of preliminary plans, which are to be completed by summer 2021.
In the areas of reconstruction, real estate will be required to complete construction activities. Acquisition will be in the form of both permanent acquisition where the lands will be purchased by the department, as well as temporary easements. The temporary easements will be needed for construction only, and ownership of the property will remain with the private property owners.
- Fall 2020 – Preliminary design begins
- Winter/spring 2021 – Public meeting anticipated
- Summer 2021 – Finalize environmental document
- Fall 2021 – Begin real estate acquisition
- Fall 2022 – Final design completed
- Spring 2023 – Potential beginning of construction if funding is available
- Spring 2024 – Anticipated beginning of construction
With the need to fully reconstruct segments of the roadway, the highway will be detoured during construction, estimated to take three to four months.
- The anticipated detour is WIS 64, WIS 46 and US 8.
- Local access will be maintained while the official detour is in place.
As online meetings and presentations remain the preferred communication format, the Wisconsin Department of Transportation is moving public involvement efforts for this project online. Project materials can be found below:
Submit comments by May 7, 2021, by:
WisDOT Northwest Region Project Manager
WisDOT Northwest Region Project Supervisor
Christena T. O'Brien
WisDOT Northwest Region Communications Manager
(715) 833-9814, (715) firstname.lastname@example.org
Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT)
Northwest Region, Superior Office
1701 N. Fourth St.
Superior, WI 54880
(715) 392-7925, (800) 590-1868
WI Telecommunications Relay System (TTY): email@example.com