Construction is scheduled to begin in January 2019. Project information pertaining to traffic impacts, schedules and construction activity will now be housed at https://projects.511wi.gov/20waterford/.
WIS 20/83, Buena Park Road to WIS 36 (Milwaukee Ave.), in Waterford, Racine County.
This project will reconstruct the existing pavement and bridge, and address operational and safety concerns in the project corridor.
Why is this project needed?
- Physical issues, age of facility and related deficiencies
- Increasing traffic volumes and future congestion
- Safety concerns
- Drainage concerns
Project benefits/anticipated outcomes
- Improved safety
- Increased roadway capacity
- Improved ride quality
- Improved operational quality
- Improved drainage
- Improved accommodation for pedestrians and bikes
- Winter 2018 / Early 2019 - Roadway construction starts
- Spring 2018 - Utility relocations
- Spring 2017 - Finalizing design and real estate acquisition
- Spring 2016 - Started final design
- Fall 2015 - Begin real estate acquisition (lasting approximately 2 years)
- Winter 2014 - Preliminary plans completed, preliminary plat completed
- August/September 2014 - Public Involvement Meeting (PIM) #3 - preferred alternative presented
- October 2014 - Install traffic signals at Main Street and First Street intersection
- East Main Street Downtown Commercial Historic District designation was rescinded by the State Historical Society due to loss of focal point, Martini Moz building
- Winter 2013 - Consultation and mitigation process for impacts to the East Main Street Downtown Commercial Historic District
- October 28, 2013 - East Main Street Downtown Commercial Historic District determined eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- August 26, 2013 - PIM #2 - Preliminary plans and alternatives presented
- March 27, 2013 - PIM #1 - Project introduced to the public, data gathering
2012 and older
- Fall 2012 to Current - Community Sensitive Solutions discussions (aesthetics)
- Summer/Fall 2011 - Safety study, determination of deficiencies in the project corridor and development of proposed improvements and alternatives
- Fall 2010 - Data collection started
Justin Suydam, P.E., WisDOT Project Manager
Dan Sellers, WisDOT SE Region Communications
Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT)
141 NW Barstow St.
P.O. Box 798
Waukesha, WI 53187-0798
Phone: (262) 548-5902
Fax: (262) 548-5662