Project location |
Project overview |
US 12, from Ski Hi Rd. to WIS 19 West, from Baraboo to Springfield, in Dane County.
This US Highway corridor study is approximately 22 miles in length. This study is broken down into two sections: North Section (Ski Hi Road to WIS 78 South) and the south section (WIS 78 South to WIS 19 West).
- North Segment Study purpose - Provide a detailed analysis of the safety and operational needs on the corridor from south of the City of Baraboo through Sauk City and to include recommendations to improve both safety and operational deficiencies identified in the analysis.
- South Segment Study purpose - Provide possible alternatives for any future conversion of US 12 to a freeway along this segment. The study will provide a basic location analysis for future interchanges and supporting transportation facilities without any environmental documentation.
- Study will include documentation of local concerns from citizens and officials.
- Study will assist WisDOT and municipalities in long-range planning of land use and transportation.
The overall benefits of the study recommendations will be an overall reduction of crashes and increased levels of vehicle and multi-modal operations with future implementation of the recommended alternatives.
For more information on Public Involvement Meetings (PIM), hearings and other public activities, visit
Future (next year and beyond)
- To be determined (TBD) - This study is intended as a source of information to aid in making future transportation decisions. There are no immediate plans or allocated funds for construction at this time.
Past (anything prior to today)
October 2014 - Study completed
Tom Koprowski, WisDOT Project Manager
Michelle Brokaw, WisDOT Study Engineering Lead
Michael Bie, WisDOT Southwest Region Communications Manager
Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT)
Southwest Region, Madison Office
2101 Wright St.
Madison, WI 53704
Phone: (608) 246-3800
Fax: (608) 246-3843
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Southwest Region, La Crosse Office
3550 Mormon Coulee Rd.
La Crosse, WI 54601
Phone: (608) 785-9022 or (888) 368-5463 (toll free)
Fax: (608) 785-9969