Project location |
Project overview |
Traffic impacts/detours |
WIS 19 (WIS 78 to US 12) - Dane County
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) is in the process of developing plans for a proposed improvement project on WIS 19 in Dane County. The project begins at the WIS 78 intersection and extends easterly for 9.6 miles to the US 12 intersection.
The purpose of the project is to improve corridor safety, address drainage concerns, widen shoulders, and improve pavement condition.
The proposed improvement includes:
- Upgrading select horizontal and vertical curves.
- Replacing two bridge structures.
- Replacing existing guardrail.
- Protecting existing roadside hazards.
- Rehabilitating select roadway culvert pipes.
- Replacing existing signing and pavement markings.
- Widening shoulders from 0-2’ to 6’ (3’ paved) west of County K.
- Widening shoulders from 0-2’ to 6’ (5’ paved) east of County K.
- Installation of pedestrian crossing at Indian Lake Park
This project follows the shoulder repair project that was constructed in the summer of 2017 that addressed the immediate needs of the roadway.
- August 2023 - Final plans complete
- Summer 2023 - Begin utility relocation
- February 2024 - Anticipated start of construction
- Spring/Summer 2020 - Plat Approval
- Summer/Fall 2020 - Real Estate Acquisition Began
- July 12, 2018 - Local Officials Meeting (LOM) #1
- July 19, 2018 - Public Involvement Meeting (PIM) #1
- September 2019 – The clay pipe in Marxville was televised to the right-of-way line, showing that the pipe is functioning within the Wisconsin Department of Transportation’s right-of-way.
- December 10, 2019 – Public Hearing
- April 10, 2020 - Environmental Report was signed
WIS 19 will be constructed with a detour during construction.
- Detour: traffic heading east on WIS 19
- Take WIS 78 to US 12
- Turn south (right) on US 12, and follow to WIS 19
- Detour: traffic heading west on WIS 19
- Take US 12 to WIS 78
- Turn south (left) on WIS 19, and follow to WIS 19
Map of detour route
Local access will be maintained.
Greg Brecka, P.E.
WisDOT Project Manager
WisDOT Southwest Region Communications Manager
Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT)
Southwest Region, Madison Office
2101 Wright Street
Madison, WI 53704
Phone: (608) 246-3800