Project location | Project overview | Schedule | Traffic impacts/detours | Status/phase | Contact information
WIS 19 (WIS 78 to US 12) - Dane County
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) is in the process of developing plans for a proposed improvement project on WIS 19 in Dane County. The project begins at the WIS 78 intersection and extends easterly for 9.6 miles to the US 12 intersection.
The purpose of the project is to improve corridor safety, address drainage concerns, widen shoulders, and improve pavement condition.
The proposed improvement includes:
- Upgrading select horizontal and vertical curves.
- Replacing two bridge structures.
- Replacing existing guardrail.
- Protecting existing roadside hazards.
- Rehabilitating select roadway culvert pipes.
- Replacing existing signing and pavement markings.
- Widening shoulders from 0-2’ to 6’ (3’ paved) west of County K.
- Widening shoulders from 0-2’ to 6’ (5’ paved) east of County K.
- Installation of pedestrian crossing at Indian Lake Park
This project follows the shoulder repair project that was constructed in the summer of 2017 that addressed the immediate needs of the roadway.
Past (Prior to December 2019)
- July 12, 2018 - Local Officials Meeting (LOM) #1
- July 19, 2018 - Public Involvement Meeting (PIM) #1
- September 23, 2019 – Draft Environmental Report was signed
Future (December 2019 and beyond)
- December 10, 2019 – Hold Public Hearing
- Located at Town of Berry Town Hall (9046 Wisconsin highway 19, Mazomanie, WI 53560)
- 6 - 8 p.m.
- February 2020 - Final Environmental Report signed
- Early 2020 - Plat Approval
- June 2020 - Real Estate Acquisition Begins
- May 2022 - Final Plans Complete
- Spring 2023 - Begin Construction
WIS 19 will be constructed with a detour during construction.
- Detour: traffic heading east on WIS 19
- Take WIS 78 to US 12
- Turn south (right) on US 12, and follow to WIS 19
- Detour: traffic heading west on WIS 19
- Take US 12 to WIS 78
- Turn south (left) on WIS 19, and follow to WIS 19
Map of detour route
Local access will be maintained.
Lalitha Balachandran, WisDOT Project Manager
Michael Bie, WisDOT Southwest Region Communications Manager
Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT)
Southwest Region, Madison Office
2101 Wright Street
Madison, WI 53704
Phone: (608) 246-3800
Fax: (608) 246-3843