Project location |
Project overview |
Traffic impacts/detours |
WIS 19, WIS 78 to US 12, Dane County
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) is in the process of developing plans for a proposed improvement project on WIS 19 in Dane County. The project begins at the WIS 78 intersection and extends easterly for 9.6 miles to the US 12 intersection.
The purpose of the project is to improve corridor safety, address drainage concerns, widen shoulders, and improve pavement condition.
The proposed improvement includes:
- Upgrading select horizontal and vertical curves.
- Replacing two bridge structures.
- Replacing existing guardrail.
- Protecting existing roadside hazards.
- Rehabilitating select roadway culvert pipes.
- Replacing existing signing and pavement markings.
- Widening shoulders from 0-2’ to 6’ (3’ paved) west of County K.
- Widening shoulders from 0-2’ to 6’ (5’ paved) east of County K.
- Installation of pedestrian crossing at Indian Lake Park
This project follows the shoulder repair project that was constructed in the summer of 2017 that addressed the immediate needs of the roadway.
- Preliminary project impacts have been determined.
- Public Involvement Meeting (PIM) #1 was held July 19,2018
Future (next year and beyond)
- Summer 2019 - Public Involvement Meeting (PIM #2)
- Fall 2019 - Begin Real Estate Acquisition
- 2022 - Construction anticipated
WIS 19 will be constructed with a detour during construction.
- Detour: traffic heading east on WIS 19
- Take WIS 78 to US 12
- Turn south (right) on US 12, and follow to WIS 19
- Detour: traffic heading west on WIS 19
- Take US 12 to WIS 78
- Turn south (left) on WIS 19, and follow to WIS 19
Map of detour route
Local access will be maintained.
Lalitha Balachandran, WisDOT Project Manager
Michael Bie, WisDOT Southwest Region Communications Manager
Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT)
Southwest Region, Madison Office
2101 Wright Street
Madison, WI 53704
Phone: (608) 246-3800
Fax: (608) 246-3843