Project location |
Project overview |
Traffic impacts/detours |
WIS 19 and Broadway Drive Intersection, Sun Prairie, Dane County
WIS 19 and Broadway Drive is a signalized intersection located near the center of the corporate limits of the City of Sun Prairie, just west of US 151. WIS 19 and Broadway Drive intersection has no designated left turn lanes or traffic signal left arrows for vehicles traveling on WIS 19. This intersection has a high number of crashes, with the majority involving left turn movements or rear ends collisions. The purpose of this project is to address these safety and operations through the Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP).
The proposed improvements included to address this need are:
- Adding separate left turn lanes for vehicles traveling eastbound and westbound along WIS 19.
- Protecting the left turning vehicles with a raised median.
- Replacing the 20-plus year-old traffic signals to better facilitate traffic flow.
- Adjusting existing bike path and sidewalk to accommodate the increased roadway width.
- Acquiring right-of-way, temporary and permanent limited easements south of the intersection.
- Incorporating other appropriate safety improvement features.
- Summer 2019 - Construction anticipated
WIS 19 will remain open to traffic with lane closures. No detour route is proposed.
Jim Simpson, P.E., P.L.S., WisDOT Project Manager
Michael Bie, WisDOT Southwest Region Communications Manager
Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT)
Southwest Region, Madison Office
2101 Wright Street
Madison, WI 53704
Phone: (608) 246-3800
Fax: (608) 246-3843