Project location | Project overview | Schedule | Traffic impacts/detours | Status/phase | Contact information
WIS 19 and US 151 interchange in Sun Prairie - Dane County
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) is proposing safety improvements along WIS 19 at the US 151 interchange in Sun Prairie in Dane County.
The project will reduce the overall number and severity of crashes along WIS 19 at the US 151 interchange; and to better accommodate turning lane capacity and large truck turning movements in an effort to minimize impacts to through traffic. The project is needed to reduce high-speed angle crashes.
The following safety improvements are being proposed along WIS 19 between Lois Drive and Davison Drive:
- The existing traffic signal poles located along the side of the roadway will be replaced with signal heads above each lane.
- Overhead signals offer drivers a better visual and understanding of the lanes to aid in their safe navigation through the intersection.
- A protected left turn movement will be included in the signal phasing that restricts opposing traffic from entering the intersection while left turns are being made.
- Left turn lanes along WIS 19 will be lengthened to provide more storage for vehicles waiting to turn left. Longer turn lanes will allow vehicles waiting to turn left to be removed from the path of through traffic.
- The southbound US 151 ramp terminal will be evaluated to determine if improvements are needed to better accommodate large truck turning movements onto WIS 19.
- May 2021 - Virtual Public Involvement
- Summer 2023 - Construction anticipated
Staged construction will allow at least one lane of WIS 19 to remain open in each direction during daytime operations. Overnight closures of WIS 19 and the US 151 ramps are likely.
David Schmidt, P.E.
WisDOT Project Manager
Southwest Region Communications Manager
Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT)
Southwest Region, Madison Office
2101 Wright Street
Madison, WI 53704
Phone: (608) 246-3800
Fax: (608) 246-3843