Project location |
Project overview |
Traffic impacts/detours |
WIS 69 (County D to Valley Road), New Glarus to Verona - Dane County
The purpose of the project is to improve WIS 69 between Belleville and Verona in Dane County. The project begins near County D in the Village of Belleville, extends north approximately 8.13 miles through the Town of Montrose and the unincorporated community of Paoli, and ends just south of Pine Row in the Town of Verona.
The existing roadway is exhibiting significant signs of deterioration in the underlying pavement. The original concrete pavement, placed in 1929, has been overlaid on numerous occasions, most recently as part of an emergency rehabilitation project in 2014. The primary goal of this project will be to address the deteriorated existing roadway pavement structure. The project also intends to enhance safety throughout the corridor by addressing horizontal and vertical geometric deficiencies, widening the roadway cross section, and establishing a clear zone throughout the rural segment of the project in accordance with WisDOT standards.
Proposed roadway improvements include rehabilitating the existing pavement and widening the paved shoulders to 5' along a 0.89 mile stretch within the Village of Belleville from the southern project limits to the Gehin Road intersection. The pavement improvement in this rehabilitation segment calls for removing the 2.5-inch asphalt overlay placed in 2014 and replacing it with 3.5 inches of asphalt pavement. The improvement concept for the remaining 7.24 miles north of the Village of Belleville between Gehin Road and the northern project limits calls for full reconstruction of WIS 69. The improvement in this reconstruction segment includes removing the existing pavement and base, and then laying 5 inches of asphalt over 12 inches of aggregate. Subgrade improvements with select crushed material and geogrid will be utilized as well. The proposed typical section for WIS 69 in this reconstructed segment consists of one 12-foot travel lane in each direction with 8-foot wide shoulders (5-foot paved shoulder width) on both sides.
Additionally, the reconstruction of WIS 69 intends to address the following:
- Realign WIS 69 in spot locations to address safety concerns.
- Improve vertical curves, super elevations, cross slopes, side slopes, and clear zone where needed to meet standards.
- Widen the structure over Badger Mill Creek to meet horizontal clearance standards.
- Improve intersection angles and geometrics.
- Remove the intersections at Morehead Drive and Paoli Road due to poor geometrics and low traffic volumes.
- Replace the existing 4-way stop controlled intersection at WIS 69 and County PB with a single lane roundabout.
- Add or replace signing, pavement marking, culverts, storm sewer, beam guard, etc. as required.
Current (this year)
- Summer 2019 - Begin right-of-way acquisition
- Summer 2019 - Coordinate project plans with utilities
Future (next year and beyond)
- November 2020 - 90% plans due
- May 2024 - Final plans due (could occur as early as May 2021)
- November 2024 - Project awarded to contractor (could occur as early as November 2021)
- Spring to Fall 2025 - Construction From Paoli to Northern Project Limits (could occur as early as Spring to Fall 2022)
- Spring to Fall 2026 - Construction From Belleville to Paoli (could occur as early as Spring to Fall 2023)
Past (prior to today)
- May 30, 2019 - Public Involvement Meeting (PIM) #4 (Montrose)
- Winter 2018/2019 – Begin right-of-way acquisition
- Fall 2018 – Complete environmental document/Right of Way Plat
- Fall 2018 – Anticipated right-of-way kickoff meeting
- May 16, 2017 - Public Involvement Meeting (PIM) #3 (Montrose)
- April 13, 2016 - PIM #2 (Montrose)
- April 13, 2015 - PIM #1 (Belleville)
- April 14, 2015 - PIM #1 (Montrose)
WIS 69 to be constructed under a detour during construction.
Local access will be maintained.
Detour, traffic heading north on WIS 69
- Take WIS 92 north to WIS 78 south
- Turn left on WIS 78 south, follow until US 18/151
- Turn left on US 18 east/US 151 north, follow until WIS 69
- Turn left on WIS 69 north
Detour, traffic heading south on WIS 69
- Take US 18 west/US 151 south to WIS 78 north
- Turn right on WIS 78 north, follow until WIS 92
- Turn right on WIS 92 south, follow until WIS 69
- Turn right on WIS 69 south
In design: developing construction plans
- Construction expected April 2025 (could occur as early as Spring or Fall 2022)
Mahesh Shrestha, WisDOT Project Manager
Michael Bie, WisDOT Southwest Region Communications Manager
Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT)
Southwest Region, Madison Office
2101 Wright Street
Madison, WI 53704
Phone: (608) 246-3800
Fax: (608) 246-3843