Project location |
Project overview |
Traffic impacts/detours |
WIS 69 (County D to Valley Road), New Glarus to Verona - Dane County
The purpose of the project is to improve WIS 69 between Belleville and Verona in Dane County. The project begins near County D in the Village of Belleville, extends north approximately 8.13 miles through the Town of Montrose and the unincorporated community of Paoli, and ends just south of Pine Row in the Town of Verona.
The existing roadway is exhibiting significant signs of deterioration in the underlying pavement. The original concrete pavement, placed in 1929, has been overlaid on numerous occasions, most recently as part of an emergency rehabilitation project in 2014. The primary goal of this project will be to address the deteriorated existing roadway pavement structure. The project also intends to enhance safety throughout the corridor by addressing horizontal and vertical geometric deficiencies, widening the roadway cross section, and establishing a clear zone throughout the rural segment of the project in accordance with WisDOT standards.
Proposed roadway improvements include rehabilitating the existing pavement and widening the paved shoulders to 5' along a 0.89 mile stretch within the Village of Belleville from the southern project limits to the Gehin Road intersection. The pavement improvement in this rehabilitation segment calls for removing the 2.5-inch asphalt overlay placed in 2014 and replacing it with 3.5 inches of asphalt pavement. The improvement concept for the remaining 7.24 miles north of the Village of Belleville between Gehin Road and the northern project limits calls for full reconstruction of WIS 69. The improvement in this reconstruction segment includes removing the existing pavement and base, and then laying 5 inches of asphalt over 12 inches of aggregate. Subgrade improvements with select crushed material and geogrid will be utilized as well. The proposed typical section for WIS 69 in this reconstructed segment consists of one 12-foot travel lane in each direction with 8-foot wide shoulders (5-foot paved shoulder width) on both sides.
Additionally, the reconstruction of WIS 69 intends to address the following:
- Realign WIS 69 in spot locations to address safety concerns.
- Improve vertical curves, super elevations, cross slopes, side slopes, and clear zone where needed to meet standards.
- Widen the structure over Badger Mill Creek to meet horizontal clearance standards.
- Improve intersection angles and geometrics.
- Remove the intersections at Morehead Drive and Paoli Road due to poor geometrics and low traffic volumes.
- Replace the existing 4-way stop controlled intersection at WIS 69 and County PB with a single lane roundabout.
- Add or replace signing, pavement marking, culverts, storm sewer, beam guard, etc. as required.
Current (this year)
- Fall 2018 – Complete environmental document/Right of Way Plat
- Fall 2018 – Anticipated right-of-way kickoff meeting
- Winter 2018/2019 – Begin right-of-way acquisition
Future (next year and beyond)
- May 2024 - Project’s final plans due
- April 2025 - Construction scheduled (could occur as early as 2022)
- November 2025 - Construction anticipated to be complete
Past (prior to today)
- May 16, 2017 - Public Involvement Meeting (PIM) #3 (Montrose)
- April 13, 2016 - PIM #2 (Montrose)
- April 13, 2015 - PIM #1 (Belleville)
- April 14, 2015 - PIM #1 (Montrose)
WIS 69 to be constructed under a detour during construction.
Local access will be maintained.
Detour, traffic heading north on WIS 69
- Take WIS 92 north to WIS 78 south
- Turn left on WIS 78 south, follow until US 18/151
- Turn left on US 18 east/US 151 north, follow until WIS 69
- Turn left on WIS 69 north
Detour, traffic heading south on WIS 69
- Take US 18 west/US 151 south to WIS 78 north
- Turn right on WIS 78 north, follow until WIS 92
- Turn right on WIS 92 south, follow until WIS 69
- Turn right on WIS 69 south
In design: developing environmental document and plans for construction
- Construction expected April 2025.
Mahesh Shrestha, WisDOT Project Manager
Michael Bie, WisDOT Southwest Region Communications Manager
Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT)
Southwest Region, Madison Office
2101 Wright Street
Madison, WI 53704
Phone: (608) 246-3800
Fax: (608) 246-3843