Project location |
Project overview |
Traffic impacts/detours |
WIS 89 (Avalon Street to WIS 73), Columbus - Columbia County
WisDOT is in the process of developing plans to reconstruct a 0.9 mile section of WIS 89 to replace deteriorating pavement and improve safety and mobility.
- Asphalt pavement, curb and gutter, lighting, existing sidewalk to be replaced, and new sidewalk in locations that have a current urban cross section.
- Existing sidewalk and curb ramps to be widened to ensure compliance with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) standards.
- New storm sewer to be installed along entire project length.
- Triple culverts at 2nd Ward Creek will be replaced.
- Water and sanitary sewer will be improved during this project.
- On street parking to be evaluated and modified from its current configuration.
Future (next year and beyond)
- Spring/summer 2022 - Construction anticipated
Past (prior to today)
- October 17, 2018 - Public Involvement Meeting #2 (PIM)
- November 15, 2017 – Public Involvement Meeting (PIM)
WIS 89 will be constructed in stages and detoured during construction.
(NB = Northbound, SB = Southbound, EB = Eastbound)
WIS 89 will be closed to thru traffic and detoured for 4 to 6 months.
- WIS 89 NB Detour: West on WIS 19, North on WIS 73.
- WIS 89 SB Detour: WIS 73 SB to WIS 19 EB.
WIS 73 will be closed to thru traffic and detoured for 1 to 2 weeks.
- WIS 73 NB Detour: US 151 North to WIS 16/60 East.
- WIS 73 SB Detour: WIS 16/60 West to US 151 South.
Brad Schultz, P.E., WisDOT Project Manager
Michael Bie, WisDOT Southwest Region Communications Manager
Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT)
Southwest Region, Madison Office
2101 Wright Street
Madison, WI 53704
Phone: (608) 246-3800
Fax: (608) 246-3843