Veteran identifier on Wisconsin driver license or ID
To get the veteran identifier on your driver license or ID card:
- Verify your eligibility with the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs. Contact the Veterans Benefits Resource Center at: 1-800-WIS-VETS or
Contact your local County Veterans Service Officer to obtain certification of your veteran status for the identifier.
- Once you've established eligibility, you may apply at the Wisconsin DMV. If renewing or getting your first driver license or ID card, you'll need to visit your local DMV. If it's not time to renew, you have the option to get a duplicate product
MOVE-IT (Making Opportunities for Veteran Employment in Transportation)
The State of Wisconsin wants to honor the service our military veterans have given to our state and country. State agencies are working together to ease the transition to civilian jobs.
Here are resources to help transfer valuable military skills to Wisconsin’s transportation industry.
Military skills test waiver -- If you have a license to operate military commercial vehicles, you may be eligible for a skills test waiver to receive a Wisconsin commercial driver license (CDL) if you:
- Have operated military commercial vehicles for at least two years
- Are either currently active military or within two years of discharge
- Have your application signed by your Commanding or Training officer
- Take the knowledge portion of the CDL test
checklist for forms, procedures and proof of identity is available online.
- CDL knowledge test study materials. The
Wisconsin Commercial Driver’s manual is available online. Practice test mobile apps and eReader version of the manual are also available.
- Take your test at a convenient
DMV customer service center.
- Search for
truck driving schools in Wisconsin by county. Admission officers can assist with veteran education funding.
- Operate a trucking business. WisDOT YouTube video tutorials show how to fill out DMV-related forms. Explore the DMV playlist on WisDOT.
Find trucking jobs. Once you have a Wisconsin CDL, check the Wisconsin Job Center trucking page for job announcements.
- Obtain other veteran benefits. Wisconsin veterans have earned many federal and state benefits for themselves, their spouses and dependents for education, health care, transportation to medical facilities and even fishing and hunting licenses.