The Milwaukee Airport Railroad Station (MARS) serves rail passengers connecting to flights at General Mitchell International Airport, along with rail-only passengers utilizing Amtrak’s Hiawatha service. The 1,600 square-foot heated facility includes restrooms and a seating area. Covered walkways lead from the drive-up area and the boarding platform.
The station is located at 5601 S. 6th Street, along the western edge of the airport (use the Amtrak parking lot entrance on 6th Street, just south of Grange Avenue and/or the airport spur). The station is open from 5:45 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Saturday and from 7:15 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Sunday. A fully automated parking facility will accommodate up to 267 vehicles. Parking fees are $2 for each of the first two hours (or fraction thereof), with a maximum of $7 per 24-hour period. The exit gate accepts cash or credit cards. A free shuttle bus connects rail passengers to the airport. The shuttle departs from the airport outside "Door 4."
For more details on the parking lot features, visit the General Mitchell International airport parking webpage.
Passengers utilizing the facility can obtain tickets in several ways:
- Use the Amtrak Quik-Trak kiosk in the Milwaukee Airport Rail Station using a credit card or a debit card. Similar to an automatic teller machine, the Quik-Trak can issue tickets for travel on Hiawatha Service trains and many other Amtrak services. Other Quik-Trak kiosks are located in the downtown Amtrak stations in Milwaukee and Chicago. Passengers with disabilities who are unable to use the Quik-Trak and others can purchase one-way tickets in cash aboard the train from the Milwaukee Airport Rail Station without a surcharge, since the station is not staffed with a ticket agent.
- On-line via the Amtrak website. (Station code: MKA)
- If the tickets are purchased in advance, the customer can print the tickets using any Quik-Trak kiosk or by visiting any staffed station. The purchase can also be completed with a credit card or a debit card at any staffed station or by using any Quik-Trak kiosk.
- From staffed Amtrak stations (including downtown Milwaukee, Union Station in downtown Chicago and the Glenview, Ill., station). A $9 surcharge will be assessed if a passenger boards at these or other staffed stations and purchases a ticket aboard the train rather than at the staffed station.
- Call 1-800-USA-RAIL for tickets by mail.
- Contact select travel agents.
Connecting to O’Hare Airport
Travelers taking Amtrak’s Hiawatha service to Chicago’s Union Station have several options to connect to O'Hare International Airport (there is no direct connection between Amtrak’s Hiawatha Service or other Amtrak trains and O'Hare Airport).
- Chicago Transit Authority’s Blue Line is a three-block walk south from Union Station. The subway station is located under Congress Parkway/Eisenhower Expressway (the facility is not ADA compliant) $1.75 each way.
- Taxi from Chicago’s Union Station to O'Hare. (approximately $40 each way)
- Metra North Central Service commuter trains run to and from Chicago Union Station and O'Hare. The schedule includes nine (9) inbound trains and ten (10) outbound trains, including two outbound trains in the morning and two inbound trains in the afternoon. Cost is $3.45 each way. There is no evening, weekend or holiday service. A free shuttle bus operates between the airport and Metra's O'Hare Transfer Station (O'Hare Remote Parking Lot F).