Emergency medical services (EMS) license plates are available to any Wisconsin motorist who is currently licensed as an EMS. The applicant for EMS plates must be an owner or lessee of the vehicle.
NOTICE: The decal at the bottom of the emergency medical services plate changed from "Emergency Medical Technician" to "Emergency Medical Services" effective November 1, 2017. All applications received on or after November 1, 2017, receive the EMS designation.
You may select from two plate designs:
Vehicles that qualify:
- motor homes (annual registration only)
- 4,500, 6,000 or 8,000 pounds gross weight including dual purpose farm and dual purpose motor home
- 12,000 pounds gross weight farm truck
Things you should know:
- A $15 issuance fee is required when non-personalized EMS plates are issued.
- A $15 fee is required each year in addition to the regular annual registration fee if you choose to receive personalized EMS plates.
If your EMS license expires and is not renewed, you must exchange your EMS plates for regular license plates, unless the retirement is due to an injury suffered during the course of duty. Notify WisDOT Special Plates Unit by letter or
email if someone uses EMS plates who does not currently qualify for them.
For more information, visit personalized and special plates FAQs.
How to apply:
EMS license plates are not available at local
DMV customer service centers. To apply, send the following items:
If you are only replacing your white background EMS plates with the new red and white design, send $40 and complete the vehicle information on the Civilian License Plate Information and Application MV2652.Make the check or money order made payable to: Registration Fee Trust.Mail with payment to:
- If the vehicle you want to register with EMS plates is already titled/registered in your name, send:
- A completed Civilian License Plate Information and Application
MV2652 including the complete vehicle description
- A copy of your EMS license
- $15 issuance fee or $15 personalized plate fee
- The annual registration fee if your current plates expire within the next three months or you have no plates
- If the vehicle is not titled/registered in your name, send:
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Special Plates Unit
P.O. Box 7911
Madison WI 53707-7911
Personalized license plates
Personalizing your EMS license plates is optional. A $15 personalized plate fee is required each year in addition to the regular annual registration fee and donation. On the Civilian License Plate Information and Application MV2652, check which option you would like us to follow if your request is not available. Please allow an additional 4-6 weeks for delivery.
Visit Personalized plate search to find out if your choice for a personalized license plate is available. WisDOT may refuse to issue, or may recall after issuance, a request that may be offensive to good taste or decency, misleading or conflicts with any other license plate. For more information, visit personalized and special plates FAQs.
For more information: