South Street to WIS 29
Several needs have been identified on this section of WIS 97, including:
- Deteriorating pavement
- Guardrails that do not meet current standards
- Deteriorating bridge deck over the Big Eau Pleine River
- Two deteriorating culverts
- Traffic signals at the WIS 153 intersection that require updates
- Curb ramps that do not meet ADA requirements
- Resurface the pavement
- Installing new guardrails at Connor Mill Creek and the Big Eau Pleine River
- Resurfacing the Big Eau Pleine River bridge deck
- Replacing several culverts
- Modifying the traffic signals at the WIS 153 intersection
- Updating the traffic signals for a blind pedestrian
- Replacing loop vehicle detectors in all travel lanes
- Upgrading curb ramps at all intersections, except South Street, to meet ADA standards
- Closing an unused cattle pass and regrading surrounding slopes
- Extending Village of Stratford sidewalk approximately 1,500 feet further to the north along the west side of WIS 97.
To improve safety, planned improvements include installing centerline rumble strips. Rumble strips help to reduce crashes by alerting drivers of a lane departure through vibration and noise created when a vehicle's tires contact the rumble strip. They are especially helpful during bad weather such as rain, snow or fog when visibility of the centerline is reduced. Rumble strips also help to reduce inattentive driving crashes due to fatigue, drowsiness and inattention.
An improvement project is currently scheduled for 2018. During construction, WIS 97 will remain open to traffic. Motorists can expect to encounter single lane closures and flagging operations in both directions.
- Final plans - Winter/spring 2018
- Construction currently scheduled - Summer/fall 2018