Please note, this planning study is separate from the WIS 23 Expansion Project, east of US 151 (Fond du Lac) to County P (Plymouth), in Fond du Lac and Sheboygan counties.
WIS 23, County P (west of Plymouth) to WIS 32 (Sheboygan Falls), in Sheboygan County.
- WIS 23 is a 10 mile long four-lane divided expressway with at-grade intersections and passes along the north of both Plymouth and Sheboygan Falls.
WIS 23 is a connector route in the Connections 2030 plan. It is a major east-west highway connecting US 41 and I-43 between the Fox Cities and Milwaukee, and provides a direct route between Fond du Lac and Sheboygan.
- The study will address issues associated with WIS 23 between County P and WIS 32 and will look to develop alternatives that will be needed to convert this section of WIS 23 to a freeway to provide the type of service consistent with a Connections 2030 connector route.
- In order to obtain the freeway designation, all current access to the expressway will be modified, resulting in an interchange, overpass, or a road closure. Highway preservation is done according to State Statute 84.295.
- After evaluation of the alternatives WisDOT will map the right of way needs for the location of future overpasses and interchanges.
- No construction is planned as a part of this study. Implementation of the improvements will occur as determined by future operational needs.
A public hearing was conducted on Dec. 13, 2016, at Riverview Middle School, 300 Riverside Circle, Plymouth, Wis. for designation of WIS 23 as a freeway from County P west of the city of Plymouth to WIS 32 in the city of Sheboygan Falls in Sheboygan County. WisDOT will take written comments through January 10, 2017.
- Record official map (right of way) with Sheboygan County
- Record notice to establish WIS 23 as a freeway
- Signed Planning and Preservation Study document placed on project website for review
- Mail copy of relevant recorded documents to affected property owners/residents
Why is this study needed?
- WIS 23 does not yet meet WisDOT’s goals and objectives for the ultimate conversion to a freeway. WIS 23 is an important route through the region as a 2030 connector route. The at-grade intersections and numerous access points have the potential to create a collision hazard as the amount of traffic increases.
- This study provides a systematic approach to evaluating and determining the future locations of overpasses, interchanges and any needed surface roads along the WIS 23 corridor between County P and WIS 32 in Sheboygan County. This approach follows the
National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) process.
- The study will allow citizens to stay informed about future improvements along the WIS 23 corridor and allows growth in the area according to the future transportation plans.
- This study will also help lower the cost for future improvements by preventing the need for expensive acquisition of developed properties along the improvements.