Painting and lighting project begins April 1, 2023
Release Date: March 15, 2023
(Green Bay) To invest in Wisconsin’s transportation system, Governor Evers signed a $5 million contract to improve the Leo Frigo Memorial Bridge (I-43) over the Fox River in the city of Green Bay, Brown County. Construction begins Saturday, April 1, 2023 and expected to finish in mid-September of this year. Continuous lane closures on the bridge will take place during construction. Expect delays during peak travel times.
Euro Paint, LLC of Youngstown, Ohio is the Prime Contractor.
The Leo Frigo Bridge project involves blasting and painting the steel arch and girders in the arch span of the bridge (center of the bridge). Work also includes installation of lighting inside the arch.
- Painting will take place within a containment system alongside and above live traffic starting April 1, 2023. Motorists must be alert and use caution driving through the containment system and work zone.
I-43 at the Leo Frigo Bridge will be restricted to one lane of travel. Lane closures will create delays on I-43. These delays may be significant during peak travel times. Please consider alternate routes to cross the Fox River. Lane and ramp closures include:
- A continuous southbound I-43 lane closure begins April 1, 2023 and continues to the end of construction.
- Southbound I-43 will have one lane of travel for motorists to use the entire duration of construction.
- A continuous northbound I-43 lane closure will take place at start of construction and near the end of construction.
- Off-peak lane closures on northbound I-43 will occur during the middle stages of work.
- The southbound I-43 on-ramp from Atkinson Drive will be closed.
- Detour: Those seeking I-43 access from Atkinson Drive will continue on US 141 to WIS 57 to Webster Avenue and use the Webster Avenue ramp to join I-43.
- The speed limit on the Leo Frigo Bridge is reduced to 55 miles per hour.
The painting will extend the life of the structure by mitigating effects of corrosion and environmental factors that impact the steel arch span. The new surface paint will also improve the appearance of the Leo Frigo Bridge. The installation of new lighting in the bridge arch will enhance safety of maintenance team members inspecting or conducting routing maintenance and repairs on the structure.
More project information
Please see the
Leo Frigo Bridge (I-43) Project construction website for detailed scope, schedule and traffic impacts.
Work Zone Safety
Each year in Wisconsin, both highway workers and motorists are killed and injured in crashes that happen in highway construction zones. Motorists should slow down, be patient and pay attention to their surroundings in this and all work zones.
For more information regarding work zone rules for motorists, the law restricting hand-held devices, and general work zone safety information, please see
WisDOT's work zone safety website.
For more information
Mark Kantola, Regional Communications Manager
Mark.Kantola@dot.wi.gov, (920) 492-4153