Out-of-state travel

Illinois | Iowa, Michigan and Minnesota

Before you go, get information on traveling in our neighboring states:Illinois tollway

Traveling in Illinois

Visit Getting around Illinois for Illinois road conditions.

Ipass lanes

Many Wisconsinites travel through northern Illinois to visit Chicago or on their way to another destination. Illinois operates a tollway, collecting tolls at various points. Motorists may proceed through the tolls by stopping to pay at each collection point or with an electronic transponder called an I-Pass which allows vehicles to move through each point without stopping.

About the Illinois Tollway

The Illinois Tollway maintains and operates 286 miles of interstate tollways in 12 counties in northern Illinois, including the Reagan Memorial Tollway (I-88), Veterans Memorial Tollway (I-355), the Jane Addams Memorial Tollway (I-90) and the Tri-State Tollway (I-94, I-294, I-80).

Tollway Violation Enforcement Program

Illinois Tollway drivers can sign up for an I-PASS ​​account, pay by plate number at the ​​​ Illinois Tollway website, or call 1-800-UC-IPASS.

Request a hearing​​

Occasionally, drivers will receive an incorrect violation notice and the vehicle description and license plate type of the driver that committed the offense may not match your vehicle and registration. Drivers who are incorrectly identified a​s violators need to request a hearing from the Illinois​ Tollway, which can be done by mail, to contest the violations. The hearing request must be in advance of the date on the notice to pay. You must notify the tollway if the photo from the violation displays a plate or vehicle that does not belong to you. This information about the discrepancy is an important part of your hearing request so that the hearing examiner can review both records.

For additional information on the Illinois Tollway and I-Pass, go to www.illinoistollway.com

Traveling in Iowa

Visit Iowa Department of Transportation 511 ​​for road conditions

Traveling in Michigan

Visit Michigan Department of Transportation for road conditions

Traveling in Minnesota

Visit Minnesota Department of Transportation 511 for road conditions