Crash reporting

When to report a crash

If law enforcement is called to the crash, then law enforcement may complete the report. If law enforcement does not file the report, you will need to complete the Wisconsin Driver Report of Crash DT4002.

Per Wisconsin Statute s. 346.70(1), any crash within the State of Wisconsin must be reported when it results in:

  • Injury of a person
  • $1,000 or more damage to any person's vehicle or property
  • Damage of $200 or more to state or other government-owned property other than a vehicle

If you received a letter from the Department of Transportation stating you were involved in a reportable crash and requesting you to complete a report, you must complete a crash report.

How to report a crash

Information you need before starting your crash report:

  • Your driver license number
  • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
  • Your Social Security number
  • Your vehicle insurance information

If your vehicle was parked and unoccupied when the crash occurred, and you do not have information on the other driver or vehicle, please follow theseinstructions.

If you need assistance, please use this FAQ and definition document.

To start filling out a crash report, access the “Start Now” button below.

Start now to file a crash report 

Please note:

  • The crash form application will time out after 30 minutes of inactivity and you will lose your information.
  • We suggest typing your narrative in a Word document or in Notepad to avoid timing out and losing your information.
  • This service may not be available on Sundays from 6-9 a.m. due to regular system maintenance.

Crash entries on driver records

  • If any motorist involved in a crash/accident is uninsured additional forms will need to be completed under the safety responsibility law.
  • Crashes appear on the driver record of all drivers involved in a reportable crash regardless of fault.
  • Driver records only show involvement in a crash on a specific date, the severity and county of occurrence.
  • You can obtain an official copy of your driver record online for a fee.
  • If the information on your driver record does not agree with the information your insurance company has, you will need to contact your insurance company for clarification.
  • You may purchase and print crash reports online.

Information for law enforcement

For law enforcement and other governmental agencies, please use the two forms provided below to assist individuals involved in a crash:

Two different versions of the cards are available to download and print. Each individual agency can determine how and on what type of paper to print the cards. One version has six cards per sheet of paper which contains smaller print. The other version has four cards per sheet with larger print.